27.0 the duel

The pets of the students attending Hogwarts could be found all over the castle.

They lived their own little lives, playing with their friends, running from Peeves, or stealing food from the kitchens.

Pandora, Claire's cat, was roaming the dungeon corridors before slipping past a Slytherin and into the common room.

She was looking for her owner after being chased out of the kitchens for the second time today.

The black cat scanned the room and found Claire reading on the couch.

"There you are."

She smiled when her cat curled up next to her and she petted her soft fur.

Claire hadn't seen Pandora much and hoped that she was having fun exploring the castle and being with her friends.

The common room was crowded and it distracted her from doing her assigned reading.

After a second attempt, she closed the book and let her eyes wander around the room.

Almost a week had gone by since her outburst against Theo and awkward moment with Draco.

December had started and the students were starting to get excited as the days to see their parents and siblings again came closer.

Claire could feel her skin starting to crawl at the thought of having to go home again.

Home wasn't something that she associated with a warm or welcoming feeling.

It had been and likely always will be, a cold and uninviting piece of her life.

Claire let out a deep breath before getting up and petting Pandora one last time.

She had been secretly waiting for time to pass and after checking, the right hour had finally arrived.

Her shoes tapped on the stone floors after exiting the common room and a cheeky smile dared to dance on her lips.

Claire hadn't forgotten Evan's words and was on her way, once again, to the Astronomy Tower.

This time with a lot more caution than before.

The curfew was nearing and the students began returning to their common rooms, making her mission a lot easier to accomplish.

Once she approached the right corridor, a soft but enchanting melody echoed between the walls.

Intrigued by the sound, Claire sped up her pace and felt her heart skip a beat upon seeing Evander at the end of the hall.

He looked a lot taller than when she had last seen him but she figured it was because he wasn't nervous.

Claire wasn't sure about approaching him but ignored her heart beating out of her chest and slowly walked closer.

The sound that could be heard was used as a password to a secret room that wasn't meant for just anyone.

Evander hummed the notes in perfect order and Claire was right behind him in awe.

With a soft click, it granted him access and Evan approached the open door.

"Woah." Claire breathed out.

"Merlin's beard!" Evander yelled in fear.

He hadn't heard someone approaching him over his voice and felt the heat rise to his face.

"You scared me." He said with his hand on his heart.

Claire couldn't help but chuckle at his shaken state before approaching the door.