12.0 the package

The first Sunday of the week rolled around and the students were out of bed late today.

They took their sweet time getting ready before heading to lunch.

Claire was no exception.

The first week of classes was a whole new routine to get used to and the Carrow's presence didn't make it any easier.

Some rumours about detention from the professors had spread and they would start next week.

It was rumoured to involve actual torturing and use of the forbidden spells.

It shocked Claire but she didn't find it hard to believe.

She just hoped other professors or even Headmaster Snape would intervene.

"Are you coming?" Daphne asked.

Claire snapped out of her thoughts and followed Daphne to the common room, where three Slytherin boys were waiting.

"Where's Pansy?" Blaise asked, his eyes scanning the room.

"She left early, head-girl duties." Daphne shrugged before turning to Claire.

"Let's go."

A warm smile danced on her lips before the two exited the common room, the boys right behind them.

Claire's thoughts wandered off to yesterday.

After her encounter with Draco near the lake, he hadn't spared her a look or word.

Today seemed no different.

The group entered the great hall and sat down on their usual seats.

They silently started their breakfast, probably still a little bit sleepy.

"Did you sign up for the duelling club?" Theodore suddenly asked, his eyes darting across the table.

Claire froze, her spoon still in the air.

"Yeah, why?" She replied, continuing to eat her scrambled eggs.

"I just think it's weird." He mumbled but his eyes said otherwise.

He seemed mad.

Draco pretended not to hear while looking at his toast, his face stone cold.

Blaise on the other hand was amused by Theo's behaviour.

"I doubt it'll even take place. I heard the Professor's Carrow complained to Snape." Daphne chimed in.

Claire didn't look up from her plate.

She hoped the duelling club could continue and she doubted she was the only one with that wish.

"Are you scared or something?" Theo asked again.

She couldn't help but sigh.

"Aren't you?" She replied.

This time Draco looked up from his plate and so did the rest of them.

The tense silence that hovered around the group often returned before Theo cleared his throat.

"No, why would I be scared?" He scoffed.

He tried to seem confident in his answer but his unsure eyes gave him away.

"Good for you." Claire mumbled.

Daphne awkwardly pushed the food on her plate around until from the ceiling windows owls appeared.

Small and big packages started to fall from the sky and out of habit, Claire protected her breakfast by covering it with her hands.