3.0 the arrival

The Hogwarts students slowly entered the great hall and the silence was deafening.

The ceiling that was once filled with candles and the night sky now looked empty.

The teachers watched the nervous pupils taking place at their house table and they couldn't help but give a few apologetic smiles. 

The doors behind them closed and Snape got up from his seat, walking up to were Dumbledore once stood.

His low and slow speaking made shivers go down the student's spine. 

"Welcome." Snape's voice echoed through the great hall. 

He looked emotionless and the teachers behind him looked uncomfortable.

From where Claire sat she could see McGonagall refusing to spare a look at the two death eaters sitting beside her. 

Her sharp chin was facing the opposite direction while she carefully listened to what Snape had to say.

"Now, we'll sort the first years." 

McGonagall got up from her seat and grabbed the sorting hat, who had no song to sing this year.

The door opened and a much smaller group than normal slowly shuffled inside.

Claire couldn't stand the sight of the terrified first years.

She tucked at her robes and looked down, her long dark hair falling over her shoulders.

As the children were sorted it stayed silent.

Only for every sorted Slytherin, there was short applause.

She didn't want to imagine how the other first-years felt, being sorted into a house where they seemed not welcome. 

When the sorting ceremony was over Snape got back up and took a look across the hall.

"I want to announce the changes for this year. We are welcoming two new teachers. Amycus and Alecto Carrow." 

The two got up from their seat and looked around, a sinister look on their faces.

Claire felt her heart sink as she watched the two teachers.

A pin drop could be heard throughout the whole hall until Snape continued.

"They'll be teaching Dark Arts and Muggle studies. Muggles studies have become compulsory." 

Again, nobody dared to make a sound.

"That's all." Snape stated sternly. 

The students nervously watched him before the-start-of-term feast appeared in front of them. 

Where normally the students would loudly begin chatting and eating, this time everyone silently and slowly started on their meal.

The only students that were comfortably talking were sitting at the Slytherin table and it created an uneasy tension in the air. 

Travers pushed her vegetables around but wasn't able to relax, while Parkinson and Nott were happily talking.

The sight of them made her sick. 

She slowly pushed her plate away before taking a sip from her drink.

Her eyes wandered off to the tables behind her and spotted Longbottom sitting with Weasley. 

They must feel lonely, Claire thought before turning to her food again.

The rest of the dinner Claire absently stared in front of her, patiently waiting for all of the houses to return to their common rooms.