4.0 the lesson

The girl's dormitory was filled with chatting and stumbling around, everyone wanting to look their best on their first day. 

It seemed like the Slytherins had forgotten about the gloomy mood around the castle but who could blame them.

Between these walls, everything seemed quite normal.

Claire tugged at her green tie, the fabric of the buttoned shirt feeling uncomfortable on her neck.

She was already sitting in the common room and impatiently waited for Greengrass and Parkinson to come down.

She knew they'd catch up to her eventually and tell her off for not waiting for them, so she silently sat on one of the leather couches.

"Morning." Theodore greeted before taking a seat opposite to her.

Claire ignored him. She found him to be one of her most difficult friends to tolerate.

"Grumpy Claire." He smirked, reminding her of her old nickname.

Not wanting to give him the satisfaction or reaction he was looking for, she continued to ignore him.

"Claire!" Daphne waved as she and Pansy finally reached the common room.

She quickly got up from her seat and could almost feel Nott burning holes in the back of her head.

The three girls made their way out of the Slytherin common room and entered the dark hallways of the dungeons.

After an uneventful breakfast, Slughorn handed out the timetables for this period. 

Their first class of the day was Transfiguration and they silently made their way up the stairs towards the first floor. 

A lot of students were moving in small groups, a scared person on his own hurrying by occasionally.

The golden glow that often shined through the castle was replaced by a dark shade of grey and the air was tense. 

When the few first-years passed other Slytherins, they'd be visibly scared with their eyes down and heads low.

Pansy, Daphne, and Claire arrived at the classroom as the first and Claire slowly peeked her head inside.

Professor McGonagall was talking to a group of second-year Gryffindors and the four children looked distressed.

Travers decided to take a step back again making Parkinson and Greengrass look at her in confusion.

"She's talking to a group of Gryffindors." She explained and Pansy immediately rolled her eyes.

The girls could hear McGonagall talking to the second years as they approached the door.

"I'm sorry but you'll have to take that class." McGonagall said and couldn't help but feel bad.

"But professor!" The Gryffindors protested.

"Visit me after the class okay? We'll talk about it then." She said.

The Gryffindors sighed in union and stepped out of the classroom, on their way to their next class.

"Oh! You're already here. Excellent." McGonagall said slightly startled before letting the girls into the classroom.

Claire noticed that their professor was on edge, just as everyone else in the castle but she tried her best to hide it.

Professor McGonagall began to organize her teaching equipment while the classroom silently began to fill with more Slytherins and Ravenclaws.