1

( a/n:     please remember to vote! )

     Marinette's fingers lightly brushed against the taxi door handle. The cold metal stung as it came into contact with her skin, causing the ravenette to draw back.

Marinette had left America and her old job behind and was visiting her childhood home in Paris, France, though she was slightly reluctant to do so.

The ravenette had cowardly abandoned this place years ago to escape her problems. To run away from the people, the deep regrets lingering that practically burned her alive, inside and out.

To leave behind the wounds she wished would not reopen.

But Marinette wanted a fresh start. After all, everything was here in Paris: her best friend Alya, her parents, and the bakery.

But most of all, her dream job, Gabriel.

'Gabriel' was the name of the most famous fashion designing company in all of Paris, owned by none other than Gabriel Agreste, father to two sons,

Felix Agreste, who was known to be abroad in London,

And Adrien Agreste.

A name Marinette hadn't heard in years, yet never failed to put a sour taste in her mouth.

But her disliking for the particular blond never diminished the ravenette's biggest dream, to become a part of the company's staff.

Marinette lifted her head, her expression turning serious and her posture improving. The ravenette sucked in a breath confidently, thanking the driver and stepping out of the taxi, careful not to trip over the raised sidewalk as she regained balance.

Marinette had worked for a minor company in America, and she accomplished much as a designer. The job was nice as well as the people, but 'minor' wasn't exactly what the ravenette was aiming for.

Marinette had big dreams and high hopes, and she knew she'd do whatever it took to accomplish them.

But the ravenette also knew that to make her wishes become a reality, if she wanted to continue down the path she was on, she knew she'd have to take a risk, to put herself out into the world and hope for the best.

Marinette's purse started to vibrate suddenly, startling her. The ravenette dug her phone out of her bag and glanced at the screen curiously.

"I should've known she'd call me sooner or later," Marinette murmured, her eyes trailing to her best friend's contact that had appeared on the screen as soon as the device turned on.

"Hey, Alya." The ravenette responded as she accepted the call, her voice dull and drained with exhaustion from the plane ride. "Girl!" The woman on the other end practically screamed.

Marinette immediately covered the speaker with her hand as to muffle out the ombre's reprimanding.

"How could you not call me earlier, girl? You're back in Paris after five years, you've got so much to catch up on! Oh, and you gotta' tell me about America..." Alya droned on, causing the ravenette to let a giggle escape at how enthusiastic her friend was.

"Slow down, Alya. I'll tell you about everything, though it isn't too much; you've probably got more to say than I do," Marinette muttered into the phone, her heels clicking loudly against the hard sidewalk.

Alya got Marinette caught up in the brief summary of what had happened while she was gone, though a three-minute walk wasn't nearly enough time to cover a whole five years.

It wasn't long before Marinette reached the fanciest and most extravagant building in all of Paris, one that couldn't be mistaken for anything other than Gabriel.