Why Me

As I'm sure you already know, the song above is Girls Chase Boys by Ingrid Michaelson. Hope you enjoy the next installation of Extraordinarily Ordinary!

My mind often wanders when I have nothing to do. And most of the time, it's pretty hard coming back to reality. It's like going on vacation, with a warm beach and the amazing ocean view. And part of you, just never wants to go back home.

"Hey!" A familiar voice said from behind me. I responded with a high pitched scream and ever so gracefully, falling off my bed. I recognized Isaac's laughter, and I never wanted to stand back up. I kept thinking that maybe if I hid under my bed long enough, he would go away. Then I realized that I can't actually fit, under my bed.

I shyly crawled back onto my bed and saw Isaac pretending to wipe tears from his eyes.

"How did you even get in?" I asked.

"Noah let me in. Didn't you hear me?" I pointed to the tangled earphones on the floor, which had fallen out of my ears when I fell.

"Oh. Also he told me to tell you that he was going out to run errands." I nodded and grabbed my laptop. I knew it wasn't my place to judge, but I couldn't help it. I was still pretty annoyed him for being so insensitive to Serena. I realized that she had her flaws but who doesn't? I tried hard to put on a plastic smile, but the only thing I could manage was a frown. I couldn't wait until the stupid project was over.

"So, I was thinking we could organize the effects of the war into categories," I began.

"Sure, whatever."

"Whatever? Don't you care at all?"

"Sure, whatever," he repeated. He was staring at window and looking like he was thinking something really profound. Or maybe that was just me.

"Suddenly I see you're clearly distracted. What's up?" I asked, trying to be polite.

"Go out with me," He said abruptly. His tone didn't suggest it was a question. It sounded more like he giving me some kind of command. At that very moment, I couldn't process anything besides the fact that he was such a jerk.

"Excuse me?"

"You owe me." He said. I remembered the party and the charity event and turned bright red.

"I didn't ask you to help me."

"And if I hadn't that night, a drunk college guy would've found you and it wouldn't have ended so well."

"Yeah, so?"

"So, I think you can at least do me a small favor." I was suddenly flooded with anger.

"You dumped Serena not even a week ago! And you're already onto the next girl? You're sick!" I excliamed.

"Beth, we were never together. I asked her to go out with me to a party one time. That doesn't mean we were dating,"

"Oh, well, that doesn't mean you had to be so heartless about the whole thing!" I spit back. He raked his hand through his hair and then looked back at me.

"Just one date."

"Out of all the girls in the entire school, why bother me?" I asked, tiredly. It was a question that I had wondered for a while, but i had my own ideas. He's done with all the girls at his old school and now he's making his way through all of the ones at this school. I was pretty surprised when I actually asked it out loud, though.

He smirked at me and then replied,"Say yes and find out." What the hell was that supposed to mean? He was trying to reel me in... like a fish!

"Anyways, do you have any idea on the titles for each category? I was thinking-"

"One date." His face was now inches away from mine and my heart was racing a millions miles per minute. His sky blue eyes were staring at me and I couldn't look back at him without becoming super self conscious about myself. I could tell he was still looking at me.

Finally I replied,"No."

He leaned back and sighed. "Fine, then I guess the school has to find out you and Serena were making hot, hot lesbian love today to help her get over her love for me." He said dramatically. I immediately cringed in disgust. Not that I had anything against lesbians, but the thought made me want to puke a little.

"What is wrong with you, you... you... you creep!" He just shrugged in response. I knew people would know that it wasn't true, but that doesn't matter. People would still talk, and make jokes about it. It's one out many reasons why high school is a hell hole.

"Fine! On two conditions." He nodded and motioned for me to continue.

"One, you don't ever blackmail me again, or use the 'you owe me' card. Two, you have to get Noah's approval," I finished with a sly grin.

"Technically that's three but sure. That's easy enough. " I simply scoffed in reply.

Noah knows Isaac's type. In fact, before mom died, he practically was Isaac. Except without the infinite amount of money. There was no way Noah was going to agree to this. He's not a complete idiot.

*****

"He's a complete idiot!" I yelled.

"Wow, he actually said yes?" Eve asked. All I could do was nod. I was still in shock.

"You should've seen Isaac when Noah said yes. I wanted to smack that smug smile right off that stupid face of his!" I yelled in frustration.

"Stupid, but cute." Eve added as she wiggled her eyebrows. I hit my forehead against the lunch table while Kat and Eve giggled about his 'hot' looks.

"Well I see this conversation has taken a turn. I'm gonna go sit with the guys," He said then he kissed her on the cheek. Kat couldn't even say bye to him because her and Eve were laughing so hard. Instead she made a pathetic attempt at waving goodbye. Meanwhile, I kept thinking that maybe if I hit my head against the table enough times, I'd die.

"Guys! This is serious!"

"What do you want us to do, Beth? Just go on a date with the guy. He clearly likes you. What's the harm?" Kat shrugged.

"I still don't like him, but I'd rather have you go out with him once then have some stupid rumor going around about you forever. You know our school, gossip is an essential," Eve stated.

*****

"Hey! How's my favorite little sister? " Noah asked as I opened the door.

"I'm your only little sister." I said, annoyed.

"Are you still mad at me?" I replied with an angry glare in his direction.

"I'm sorry. But I think it's good for you to focus on something else besides getting into college once in a while."

"Yeah, but not with him, Noah!" I complained.

"I really don't think he's a bad guy, Beth. Give the guy a chance. So stop being such a wuss, okay?" He told me as I sighed in exasperation.

"Where did you get that from?"

"Beth, I know you like this guy and some messed up part of your brain thinks that it's going to get in the way of you getting into a good college or whatever-"

"You think you have me all figured out, don't you?"

"Well, yeah kind of. But I really don't want to argue with you. So just drop it and go out with a guy, you might even have something called fun."

I finally laughed and replied,"No promises."

I think this chapter is longer then the last one. I hope all you lovely people enjoyed it. Sorry it's been so long since I last updated. Thank you to all ya guys and gals sooooo much for taking the time to read my book. You have no idea what it means to me. I will be publishing the next chapter very soon. Please comment and vote. Until next chapter..... Byeeeee!
-singing_penguin