Redemption

Fireflies were all around them.

It seemed like everything was calm, for now.

Owls hooted as they flapped their wings, disappearing into the night.

It was going to be ok.

Everything was going to be ok.

As long as they were together.

...

~Hawks's pov~

He was tired.

Didn't know how long they had been going for, running through the forest. But at last, he and Dabi had made it up a hill and had a glimpse of a highway below them. Inbetween that was more and more trees. Would they make it? Who knew.

Hawks felt better, to say the least. Yes, he just watched Rumi die in front of her. But where was crying going to get him? It had never gotten him anywhere except into more trouble.

He moved closer to Dabi.

"You still awake Touya?"

Hawks was met with silence.

His heartbeat slowed as he put one wing around them both, a warm gust of heat welcoming him in. Hawks rested his head in the crook of Dabi's neck.

"I know you're asleep, but I just wanna tell you something."

"You were never there for me. Ever. The only promise that you made to me was broken by you. There's no one else to blame but yourself, Touya."

There was a shakiness in his voice but he swallowed the nervousness as he continued.

"You're a fucking asshole you know that?"

This time, Hawks laughed a little. He closed his eyes.

"But after everything, even after you hurt me so bad, why am I still in love with you? It's not fair."

Even after he said that, Hawks snuggled closer to Dabi. He hadn't felt that warm fuzzy feeling in a long time. It was almost comforting, but nothing was the same anymore. Everything was different. Dabi may have saved him, but the future looked bleak. If only they hadn't met. If only.

He was surprised when two strong arms wrapped around him and hauled him up, and onto the other's lap. So that jerk was awake this whole time.

"I really don't know how to make this up to you, Keigo." Dabi hid his tears by burying his face into the feathers before him.

Hawks just grabbed his chin and pulled him closer.

"If you keep crying you're gonna make me sad," he said with a bitter smile. "Tears don't look good on you."

And with that, he leaned in.

...

The rest of the night was spent with deep conversations and a lot of kisses. Morning finally came, and with that, the two made their way further and further away from civilisation. As they walked, neither spoke, both planning out the next step. If there was any next step.

After the trees were more trees, and the forest seemed to never end.

"What are we gonna do Touya? Shigaraki's definitely going to come after us."

Dabi stopped in his tracks. "We can't go back for help. They'll execute us."

The realisation was harsh, but they both knew that 'a normal life' was impossible at this point. To live in the woods forever? That was practically the only option.

"Can we just give up?" That came out as a soft whisper, but Dabi heard every word.

"Keigo. You can't mean for us to just-" Dabi stopped mid sentence.

"I'm tired."

"We'll find a way. We have to." Dabi clutched Hawks's hand. "After all we've been through, we deserve another chance. I'll find a way for us. I know someone that can get us tickets." Hawks tried to stop him from getting his hopes up, but there was a desperate gleam in Dabi's eyes.

"That's it! We can go to America and live a quiet life there. Keigo- listen you promise me ok? Promise me to not do anything stupid." Dabi grabbed him and held him in a tight embrace. "Don't leave me again. I can't take it."

"I promise. This is our final chance to live a happy life." He smiled gently.

...

I'm sorry. When the time comes, I'll have to be the one that breaks the promise.

A/N

After several months of waiting I hope this chapter was worth it

Finally made up the rest of the storyline and I hope the next few chapters will be better

Thanks for everyone that hasn't given up on the book yet!