XVII. messages, real life

SEVENTEEN. 

messages        between
gloria and sebastian

sebastian
hi
are you at work?

gloria
hi!! yes i am
what's up?

sebastian
is it ok if i call you for a few minutes?
if you're available

gloria
yeah i can step out for a few mins

sebastian
no no not if you'll miss something

gloria
it's fine! spring season just ended so everyone's super chill
i'll call u give me 2 minutes

sebastian
ok :)

Stepping outside of the studio, Gloria sat down against the wall and and crossed her legs, staring at her battered practice point shoes

Stepping outside of the studio, Gloria sat down against the wall and and crossed her legs, staring at her battered practice point shoes. The leotard she wore today was black, with three-quarter mesh sleeves embroidered with Gloria's favorite flowers, peonies.

She picked at a loose thread on the neckline and scrolled through her contacts until she found the number labeled Sebastian. Tapping on it, Gloria held the phone to her ear; after just two rings, Sebastian picked up.

"Hey," he said over the line. "Sorry for pulling you out of work—"

"Don't worry about it," Gloria said gently. "You don't need to apologize."

"Sorry," Sebastian replied automatically, then let out a sigh. "That was a reflex, I say sorry too much—um, anyway, I just called 'cause I wanted to tell you something."

"Go ahead," Gloria urged, one eyebrow raised as she pushed back a strand of hair that had fallen loose from her tight bun. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, of course," Sebastian said, clearing his throat. Gloria heard the clinking of what sounded like glass, then running water. "I'm, uh, I'm leaving for the Civil War press tour in a week and a half." Gloria heard him take a sip of water before he let out a contented sigh.

"Oh." Gloria felt her heart sink, but tried to smile even though she knew Sebastian couldn't see her. "That's great. How—how long is the tour?"

"There's about a week of just a bunch of interviews straight," Sebastian replied, and Gloria pictured him running a hand through his chin-length dark hair. "I'll be back by next Monday, but after that I might go to a bunch of Comic Cons with Anthony and Chris. . ."

"Wow," Gloria laughed, shaking her head with a smile. "You say their names like it's nothing—like they're just regular people."

"They are!" Sebastian said; Gloria could hear the smile in his voice. "Idiots, too. You should watch the interviews, they get really funny."

"I'll keep that in mind," Gloria assured him, picking at her nail. "Was that. . . was that all you wanted to tell me?"

"No," Sebastian said slowly, then took a deep breath. "Listen, I mostly wanted to talk to you because it's likely I'll be asked about the. . . mystery woman."

"Ah, yes," Gloria murmured, nodding sagely. "A true enigma, that one." She frowned, then, as Sebastian remained silent. "If you're asked. . . what will you say?"

"I don't know," Sebastian replied. "Because I don't know what we are."

We, thought Gloria, swallowing nervously as butterflies in her stomach. "Well," she said, "we should probably talk about this in person, huh?"

"Yeah."

"Why don't I drive you to the airport next week?" Gloria proposed, reaching down to adjust the ribbon on her pointe shoe. "We can. . . say goodbye. Even if it's just a week."

"Like a sappy couple," Sebastian joked, then coughed awkwardly. "Um, I mean—I didn't—"

Cheeks flaming, Gloria picked at a thread on her leotard again, wishing she didn't feel like her limbs had just collapsed into a puddle of jelly. Clearing her throat, she said, "Yeah. Like those couples in Central Park who rub noses and lick each other's ice creams."

"I don't want to do that," Sebastian said through a laugh. "Just a heads up."

"Good," Gloria replied, smiling. "Neither do I." She took a deep breath and chewed her bottom lip, half anxious and half excited. "Bye. Talk to you later."

"Bye," Sebastian said on the other end. "See you soon."