Chapter 5

Obsidians pov

We all walk outside to watch the lights, the same lights that happen every year, then open presents. I'm just happy for this night to be almost over. Birthdays just have never made me happy... I feel like it's not real.

Herieth and I sit in the middle of the field, everyone surrounding us. I look up at the lights as I feel how excited Herieth is, her emotions rubbing off on me. It's always been like that. With the necklaces we can feel each other.

"Ok I can't wait, I HAVE to give you your present," Herieth squeals.

She hands me a large box with a ribbon. "It's from me and River! I carved it myself and River helped me paint it," she exclaims as I open the box. Inside lies a beautiful bow with gold painted details. "It's breathtaking," I gasp as I give them both a hug.

We all look over to Nathaniel. "Ok so... I sorta forgot a gift," He chuckles nervously. "Ok well, you'll just have to make it up to us," Herieth says as she gives me a side glance.

"I have the perfect idea... play us a song," I cock my eyebrow and start to giggle. Nathaniel hates playing in front of people, let alone our whole class. Damn this is going to be good.

"Absolutely not," Nathaniel says sharply.

"it's the least you can do," River responds, grinning ear to ear.

Nathaniel sighs and stands up. "Fine," he grumbles as he walks inside, everyone following him closely.

Nathaniel sits down on the grand piano and begins to play the most beautiful song, his fingers dancing across the keys in a perfect rhythm. I hate Nathaniel most of the time, but my god is he talented. I wouldn't expect such perfect things to come from such an annoying man.

I let the music flow through me. Herieth and I lean on each and slowly sway to the beats of the music. For a second everything goes away and I am truly happy on my birthday. It's one of the best gifts i've ever gotten.

Happiness, true happiness.

The music ends, pulling me out of the moment. The room is silent for a moment, as everyone is in awe. Nathaniel stands up and sarcastically bows as we all begins to clap and cheer.

He comes down and joins us, Herieth and I hugging him. "Everyone, it's back to present time!" Herieth yells in excitement, running back outside.

I turn to look at Nathaniel. I open my mouth to say something, when I see his face. He looks nervous? Maybe even scared? I debate if I should say something, but go against it. I instead walk up to Herieth. "What if we go and get some dinner, you, me and the boys? Nathaniel kinda looks upset."

"Can we wait until after the presents?" She pleads, walking away to sit with everyone as I was about to reply. I grab my gift for Herieth, trying to move this along. Nathaniel still sits there in silence. He looks so upset. I get it was our birthday and all but there's more to birthdays than presents.

I hand her a rose pink bag with gold handles. She lets out a loud gasp as she opens it, revealing 2 pretty pink ballet pointe shoes. She leaps at me in a hug. "THANK YOU! I LOVE THEM SO MUCH!" she screams annoyingly. She knows how much I hate birthdays and she is choosing to ignore it.

"Calm down, no need to be dramatic," I reply in a tone harsher than intended, pushing her off of me.

"It's my birthday, I'm aloud to be happy," she snaps back.

"It's MY birthday too, and yet YOU'RE the only one whos happy!" I yell without thinking.

"Well SORRY, I don't wanna go to SOME STUPID dinner just cause your BOYFRIEND is sad," she eyes me and Nathaniel.

"You KNOW that's not why i'm mad," I step towards her. "Every year it's YOU, YOU, YOU! And i'm SICK OF IT. EVERYDAY IS THE SAME! ONCE THIS IS DONE WE GO BACK TO OUR OVERWHELMING LIVES! My god, You're so damn selfish!"

"DON'T EVER CALL ME SELFISH! Do you know what's selfish? Leaving all our friends who came here for US, JUST SO YOU CAN HAVE FUN WITHOUT THEM... OR MIGHT I SAY SO YOU CAN HAVE A DATE WITH NATHANIEL!" She screams, water beginning to travel down her hands.

"OH LIKE YOU AND RIVER HAVEN'T BEEN ALL OVER EACH OTHER! WE AREN'T KIDS ANYMORE, GROW THE HELL UP HERIETH!" I allow the fire surging inside of me to dance on my finger tips.

"I just want to ENJOY MYSELF! I DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS A CRIME TO WANT TO HANG OUT WITH MY SISTER ON OUR BIRTHDAY!" She suddenly shoots a ball of water towards me with full force.

I throw a fist full of fire back at her, creating an iridescent light as our powers connect. Our powers grow stronger as our necklaces begin to glow, reminding us of our bond.

"We aren't even REAL SISTERS! THE ONLY CONNECTION WE HAVE ARE THESE STUPID NECKLACES!" Boiling tears rolls down my cheek, evaporating on my own skin. "WE AREN'T REAL SISTERS, THIS ISN'T OUR REAL BIRTHDAY, GO GROW UP AND REALIZE WE AREN'T KIDS ANYMORE!"

With all my power I shoot a ray of fire at her, but she rebuttals and shoots one back of water. They connect again, creating a blinding light that forces me to close my eyes.

Our screams mix together as I faintly hear someone calling my name, but I can't hear them over the ringing in my ears.

I feel a sharp pain through my necklace, as if someone is shooting their power right through my heart. It sends me flying. I open my eyes to see Ember shooting a ray of fire into my necklace, and the back of Arroyo doing the same with water to Herieth.

I feel a wave of exhaustion as my body goes limp, Ember and Arroyo stopping their power rays.

"This is absolutely unacceptable! You girls were given a gift and you choose to fight each other on your birthday!?" Ember reprimands. "I'm beyond disappointed in you girls... I can't even look at you two!" I feel the disappointment radiating off of her, a tear rolling down my face as I realize what i've done.

"Everyone back to your sleeping quarters! The party is over!" Arroyo orders. "No please," I hear Herieth cry weakly.

"River carry Herieth to her room and Nathaniel take Obsidian to yours. They're gonna need a lot of rest. We will talk to you girls in the morning," He demands as he and Ember walk off.

I feel someone's arms lift me up. "Nathaniel, I don't wanna go inside, I'm fine," my voice comes out raspy. "Yeah, yeah... and I'm a fairy princess," he retorts. "We are going inside, you need some rest." I try to fight but my body is too weak.

He scoops me into his arms, my head falling against his chest in exhaustion. I can faintly hear his heartbeat, a rhythm almost as beautiful as his piano playing. I get so lost in the memory of the song he played for us for a moment too long, and suddenly I need to get away from this enchanting sound.
I push myself from his arms and nearly fall face first on the ground.

"What are you doing," He asks bluntly. "I can walk on my own, thank you very much." I take one step and my knees buckle and give out beneath me. A strong arm wraps around my waist, steadying me. "Yeah, you can totally walk," he says as he places my arm around his neck for me to lean on. I feel his legs below me walking in a steady rhythm, taking me into the school, my body tangled with his.

We walk into his room. "It's disgusting in here," I comment as he lays me down on his bed. "Sorry it isn't a royal suit," he half chuckles.

I look around the room. There's the navy blue bed that I'm laying on, and a lighter blue bed on the opposite side with paintings above it. Rivers obviously. I look around the room until my eyes lands on 3 duffle bags packed with clothes.

What?

"Nathaniel? Why are all your clothes packed?" I look up at him to see a split second of fear flicker in his eyes.

———————————————————————————
sorry we haven't published in a while, more coming soon! What do you think will happen next chapter? (It's gonna be a crazy one)