Chapter 12- Friends First

It was Friday night, AKA the night of our teams first soccer game

It was Friday night, AKA the night of our teams first soccer game. We were up against Eastwood High tonight.

Natalie and I drove together and found a spot on the bleachers with a good view of the field. It was chillier than usual out tonight, so Natalie brought a blanket for us.

"You got room for one more?" Asked Lillian coming up from Natalie's side. I internally rolled my eyes and Natalie, being as sweet as she is, opened the blanket for her and said, "Yeah, sure."

If we're being completely honest, I genuinely don't think Natalie disliked anyone. Maybe I should learn a thing or two from her.

"Wow, the boys look good tonight. Especially Cyrus, don't you think Row?" Lillian asked.

I didn't mean to ignore her really, I was just observing that the boys did in fact look good. They were warming up now. Cyrus was doing some stretches and observing some of the players on the other team. Duncan and his buddy Jeremy, aka Natalie's boyfriend, were doing more pass drills.

And then there was Declan and Adam, who were both bumping a soccer ball back and forth from their chests their heads. I noticed Declan then, with his rosy cheeks, his fluffy hair, and his carefree smile. I thought I could hear his laugh from where he was sitting.

Then there was some loud chatter from the people behind us that caught my attention.

"This is the wrong side of the bleachers Carson, now we have to awkwardly cheer from the side of our opponents."

"You know what Leah, I decide to come home from college for the weekend and you have done nothing but pick on me. Tell her Adelaide."

"I can do nothing of the sort. You spilled my hot chocolate, again."

The boy who I assumed was Carson let out a whiny groan before turning to the girl beside him, "Maylan?" He pleaded.

She took a deep breath as if giving herself time to think of an answer, "I love you?"

He clicked his tongue as Leah giggled from the side.

"You can keep your pity love, you betraitor." Betraitor? Is that even a word?

"Nah I think you're right Carson. This seating arrangement is better. That way when we cheer for Tristan, it'll be more distinct, ya know?"

"Yes, I know! Thank you, Tate. You see ladies? That's the right way to show a little appreciation."

When he moved to give his friend a fist bump or whatever the fuck he was trying to do, his elbows hit the girl he called Adelaide, causing the cup in her hand to fall over.

Some warm liquid got onto the blanket that I had wrapped around myself. She gasped, "I'm so sorry my brother is such an idiot. Here take some napkins." She handed me some already in her hands and I used it to wipe the blanket.