Chapter 48- Stupid... But Good

When we came back to school, everyone was buzzing with gossip about what had went down

There were groups I walked past who were hunched in a huddle and whispering, and then there were the kids who would wave like I had known them all year long. The story was a news headline and I could sense it wouldn't die down as soon as I would've liked.

"It feels stupid coming back here after what we just went through," I say as I twist in the combination to my locker.

"Yeah I know, this sucks," Natalie says. Natalie had been feeling a bit left out, so she likes to drop comments like this here and there to feel a little more included.

"It's okay Nat, the next time we take down a group of criminals you'll be the first I include," Cyrus assures her. She smiles all giddy and adjusts her bag on her shoulder. The distraction gives Cyrus the free chance to give us that no-way-in-hell look as he shakes his head.

It was hard to join in on Adam's snort of amusement when I was distracted by the state of Cyrus's neck. He was nearly choked to death and it showed. At least it showed to me. He had my help covering up the worst of the bruising.

I always had a shade of Cyrus's concealer stashed away for emergencies. I mentally pat myself on the back for doing such a good job and praised the lord that Cyrus had such good luck. Realistically speaking, he should have busted his windpipe or something more serious like that.

Then I turned to Declan and my worry didn't rest. He needed four stitches from the wound on his brow. My gaze dropped down to his shirt. I stared at the fabric and worried about what it looked like right underneath. I wanted to work with him to hide the bruises from his jaw and other parts of his face, but he insisted he wanted to keep them because it made him look tough. I mentally rolled my eyes at that before moving on.

Thankfully, Adam wasn't visibly hurt. He had been threatened with a gun and shoved around a lot but otherwise, he was in good health. He even thought it was cool that he had escaped death. That was Adam for you.

My tongue mindlessly rolled over my busted lip and I was aware I had bruises of my own, but it wasn't me I was worried about, it was them. 

"Hey," Declan said, catching my attention. "Stop it."

"Stop what?" I asked him. He gently pulled my lip back in place so I would stop messing with it.

"Stop feeling bad. Each of us would do it again... no hesitation." I turned to the others to find them nodding their heads and looking at me with confirmation. It made my heart swell a little.

"I would do it for the first time," Natalie assures me.

I smile and then feel my phone buzz from my pocket. I reached for it and stepped aside so I could answer it. I had already known who it was.

"Hey, dad."

"Rowena? Are you there yet?" He spoke from the other line.

"Yes, I just got here. I was about to text you."