Chapter 38- Nico's Party

I wasn't much in a partying mood when Saturday night rolled in

Adam and Cyrus insisted that I go since they were still in high spirits on winning their soccer game. We were getting close to the final match, and it was highly anticipated that we would be playing against Valley View. Every win mattered.

Even Natalie was in the mood for a party, and I'd rather not disappoint her by saying I wasn't going to go.

So, I got dressed and did my makeup, and waited for Natalie to let me know she was ready to be picked up. We decided to take our own car and let Adam and Cyrus take their own since they were probably planning on staying later than us.

Neither one of us expected Declan to show up.

"I've known the kid since the third grade," Adam explained to me at lunch. "Don't worry about it Row, he'll come around. He likes to do this when he goes through something. He'll push people away at first because he'll want to handle things on his own. He's going to show up again when he gets lonely, just wait for it."

I suppose the point of this was to make me feel better, but I couldn't find it in me to find comfort in those words.

He was going to tell me. He was about to say what was bothering him and what had caused him to be so distant and shady.

You can imagine how ridiculous I had felt, preaching about the fact that it wasn't okay for him to be lying to me. And then he had caught me in a lie of my own, just as he was about to come clean.

Now I had no idea what he was thinking and I don't know when I would get another chance to talk to him about it.

I shook the thoughts out of my head as Nat had texted me, saying she was ready. The entire car ride we had talked about everything and nothing. I didn't talk about Declan and she didn't talk about Jeremy.

When we pulled up to the neighborhood I sucked in a breath. I don't know if it was nerves or just straight-up surprise. "This is Declan's neighborhood," I said.

"Oh," Said Natalie quietly. "Well, maybe that means he'll show up after all. That's a good thing right?"

Wrong. I don't think I was ready for any type of confrontation. I hated feeling like such a nervous wreck, it wasn't familiar to me.

We passed Declan's house, turned right, went straight for a few houses, then turned left. Nico and Declan didn't live on the same street, just the same neighborhood.

We found a parking space in the already packed lot. "Are you sure you want to do this? We can go do something else if that's what you need."

I turned to Natalie who had a face of concern. I suppose she had sensed my nerves. I thought about it for a second but made my decision.

"No, we're going inside. We're already here and there's a low chance he'll show up anyway, right? Even if he is here I'll just have to suck it up," I decided. I reached for the door handle but she cut me off again.