Four

💋 THE LIST 💋
- Yorkie?
- Lip ring...

When first period rolls around on Friday morning, I find myself sneaking glances at Harvey. My eyes keep going back to his sharp jaw and the way he drums his long fingers against his neck when he's bored. I've never really taken in how good-looking he is... I know so many girls who are into him, but I always figured it was because he's on the basketball team. But now I can't stop looking at his cheekbones or how his eyes crinkle when he laughs and his full lips that always seem to be smiling. I wonder what it would be like to...

My thought is cut short when he looks back at me and catches me staring. I quietly panic but relax when he rolls his eyes in the direction of our teacher. I smile and roll my eyes back at him, relieved that he thought we had just happened to look at each other at the same time. Thankfully, Nicole doesn't notice either; she and Jess seem to be preoccupied this morning. Nicole stands up and says something to Mr. Peaks and then returns to the table when he nods.

He tells the class to discuss the theme of performance in the book, and I look over at Nicole to see if she says anything about why she's so distracted. She smiles at me, and I detect a glint of mischief in her eye but can't place it.

Suddenly, Mr. Peaks calls my name. I look over at him, and he's standing by the phone, covering the receiver. "Rachel, it's a phone call for you." He says seriously. I start to stand up before he continues. "It's someone named Daniel York? He wants you to know that he's very excited for your date tonight."

I suddenly feel like vomiting. My face feels hot, and I'm sure that my cheeks are bright red. I feel at least 15 pairs of eyes boring into me, standing by my desk. I open my mouth to speak, but nothing comes out.

Suddenly, Mr. Peaks erupts into laughter, as do Nicole and Jess. I look around, incredulous, and spot Maia at the door, also laughing! I feel hot and stumble into my chair, trying to avoid eye contact with everyone. I'm thankful that some people in the class were actually paying attention to their group work and didn't witness my mortification.

Mr. Peaks walks over, still laughing, and puts his hand on the back of my chair. He clutches his chest and leans down. "I'm sorry, Rachel, I didn't mean to embarrass you! It was too funny to pass up. Who doesn't love a good prank?"

I try to force a smile and look at Nicole, who is no longer laughing and looks a little guilty. I pout at her for being part of it, just as Jess speaks up. "Don't be mad, Rachel, it was my idea! I thought you would get a kick out of it. I didn't realize you would find it embarrassing. I'm sorry!!"

She seems like she genuinely means it, so I just smile sadly at her and bury my head in my hands. I suddenly realize that Harvey hasn't said anything the entire time. He hasn't even looked at me. I peek between my fingers at him and see that he's scowling.

"Can't we just focus on our work for once?" He huffs, leaning back in his chair.

"Jeez, touchy!" Jess remarks. She shifts her attention to me again. "So, where are you guys going tonight?" she asks.

I honestly wish she would stop talking about it so I can focus on something else. Harvey clearly feels the same way, pushing up out of his seat and muttering something about going for a walk as he grabs a hall pass and stalks out of the classroom.

"Wonder what his problem is... anyway, you were saying?"

I look back at Jess and find that she's still waiting for my answer.

"Oh, um, I don't know, actually," I say, tucking my hair behind my ears anxiously. "He said he would text me where to meet him." I'm relieved when Mr. Peaks calls the class's attention to him as he finishes the lesson.