Nine

💋 THE LIST 💋
- Lip ring
- Harvey
- Nathan

"You told him you'd think about it?" Maia laughs. "I'm loving this side of you," she says as she sips her matcha.

The three of us are gathered at a corner table at a cafe in our neighbourhood, with my phone in the middle of the table so we can all see the texts from Ethan.

"Well, what are you thinking? Is he cute?" Nicole asks me.

I scrunch my nose, and Maia laughs again.

"He's... cute, I guess." I shrug. "He kind of seems like an ass. When I met him last week he made it disgustingly obvious that he was checking me out."

"I hear he's fun!" Maia swats my arm. "If you don't like him, then say no, but some part of you must want to say yes or you wouldn't have answered at all."

I nod slowly, considering this. "Okay, I really will think about it. Maybe I'll text him this weekend?"

The girls nod at me as I slip my phone back into my bag.

"Speaking of texts..." Nicole starts. "Do you think it would be too forward to give Matthew my number tomorrow? He's so cute."

I smile and Maia squeals, grabbing Nicole's arm. "I knew you thought he was cute!! You guys are the perfect height for each other, too," she adds. "I say do it! Add him to your list!"

I nod in agreement. "He did seem to be into you, I don't think he would have any problem with getting your number," I giggle and turn to Maia. "What about you? Anyone catch your eye?"

"Hmm," she ponders, tapping her finger on her chin. "I thought they were all pretty cute, but I'm not sure yet. I definitely want to get to know the study buddies who were huddled over that textbook all lunch."

I grin at her. "Hoping they'll do your math homework for you?"

"It would definitely be a perk," she sighs wistfully.

--

Music blares in my ears as I power through my homework, already a little sleepy. My phone chimes suddenly, breaking my focus. My stomach flips when I see it's a text from Nathan.

*Busy?*

*Not very*

It's a lie, I am busy, and I'm tired, but talking to Nate just sounds way more fun than history homework. My phone rings in my hand—he's calling me. Suddenly, I'm not so tired anymore.

"Hey," I answer.

"Hey," he replies, his voice heavy with sleep.

"Did you just wake up or something? You sound exhausted."

He chuckles softly and groans. "I wish. I am pretty exhausted actually, I was thinking of turning in early."

My brow furrows, not that he can see it. "Why'd you call me then?" I ask with a laugh.

"I was hoping you would change my mind," he murmurs, and the sound sends my blood rushing to my cheeks.

"And how would I do that?" I try to sound casual.

"What are you up to right now?" He doesn't answer my question.

"History homework," I reply cautiously.

"Great, let's video chat." Ah, there's the answer to my question. I can hear the smile in his voice.