Fourteen

💋 THE LIST 💋

- Drew (Lip ring)
- Harvey
- Nathan
- Roman

"You actually want to come?" My mom asks as we chop apples for her famous beet-and-apple salad.

"Yeah, why not?" I reply in a way that I hope sounds unassuming and without any ulterior motives.

"Doesn't really seem like your thing," she says, raising an eyebrow at me.

"A nice meal with family and friends doesn't seem like my thing?" I clear my board of chopped fruit and reach for another apple. "Aren't they leaving tomorrow anyway? Who knows when they'll visit next."

She smiles. "I see, so this is about spending time with a certain friend?"

"Maybe," I say, popping a slice of apple into my mouth.

"I knew you'd like him. A mother always knows..." she says as she mixes the fruit with the chopped beets. I roll my eyes at her and start prepping the dressing.

--

I make my way up to my room and change into a tight black tank top, soft yoga pants and an equally soft cream-coloured sweater. I touch up my makeup and add a swipe of Nicole's lip gloss.

Candy apple-flavoured, I think to myself with a smile. I realize that I never even ended up using it with Yorkie. Oh well, at least it'll get some use tonight... I make a mental note to return it to Nicole when I see her next. I fix my hair and head downstairs just as my mom calls for everyone to get ready to leave.

--

Alina's house smells like comfort food and potpourri, with a warmth that feels like stepping into a hug. Roman is sprawled across the couch in the living room but sits up with a smile as soon as he sees me walk in.

As my mom, Alina, and Ellie flit around the kitchen and dining room in preparation for dinner, he tilts his head toward the stairs. I follow him, wordlessly slipping by the groups of adults chatting and drinking. I meet him at the top of the stairs and giggle as he wraps his arms around me, lifting me up and spinning us around.

He puts me down and holds me at arm's length as he looks me up and down.

"I speak three languages and none of them have the words necessary to describe how good you look," he says, shaking his head with a smile.

I can tell I'm blushing, and I can't help the smile that takes over my face.

I shake my head back at him. "You're telling me that? What, are you trying to butter me up or something?"

He laughs. "I've never heard that phrase, is it like getting you drunk?" He's walking toward me now, guiding me backwards into one of the bedrooms. As he closes the door behind us, he turns to me with a playful smile. "Because I am planning on doing that."

I raise my eyebrows at him and turn my head to find two shot glasses and a bottle of vodka on the desk. I bite my lip and face him again. "Not quite, but I like where this is going."

He takes another step toward me, closing the gap between us, and then one more so my back is against the wall. Without a moment more to waste, he kisses me as if the past few hours apart were physical torture. His body presses into mine, and I feel like fire is spreading through my veins, a feeling I've never even imagined.

I can't help getting lost in his smell, his taste, and the heat coming off of his toned body. I feel entirely under-experienced kissing him, so I let him lead the way and try to mimic how his mouth moves against mine. He pulls away, and I take the opportunity to catch my breath. I feel drunk already, just off the intensity of his kiss. Speaking of which...