Ch. 2 - Necessary Assistance

"My daughter has been kidnapped."

Enyo paced the room back and forth with his hands behind his back. Nagisa sat on her knees in the middle of the floor as the three male elders of the clan sat on cushions in the front. It was early in the morning, only a little after the fisherman would go out to sea. Nagisa remembered the previous night's events on a constant replay in her mind and absentmindedly dug her nails into the palms of her hands.

Enyo stopped moving directly in front of his oldest daughter and she could feel his burning gaze on her but she couldn't look up to see it. "Not only did you sneak your sister out past her curfew, but you also failed to protect her. It is your irresponsibility that caused all of this mess."

"Da-" The female finally looked up, only to be met with pure anger and disappointment. Clearing her throat from the pause, she tried to continue. "Chief Enyo, I-"

"And you dared to say you wanted to be clan head. How could you be so careless?"

Nagisa stayed silent while her father continued his rant and lecture. His words went in one ear and out the other as her only focus was on her sister. In the midst of danger, she couldn't even move. He was right that she failed to protect her, however it wasn't like she knew the infamous kidnapper was going to show up on their property. No outsiders had access to her family's shore and docks.

"I will interject here, Chief Enyo. The head family has been reduced, so now we need to focus on repopulating as soon as possible." One of the elders spoke.

"Repopulating? Mizuko isn't dead, so we need to focus on finding her first." Nagisa stood up from her spot on the floor. "That bird kidnapper thing carried her off. It didn't-"

"Nagisa, stand down." Enyo cut his daughter off curtly as the elders began to murmur amongst themselves. "I apologize for her rudeness."

The main elder started the conversation again, turning his attention to Nagisa. "The Land of Sea Daimyo has already contacted the necessary assistance. You will escort them to their living arrangements as their hostess and return to your duties for the clan."

"They should be arriving later on today so you need to finish the preparations." The last elder added. "This matter is now out of your hands."

Nagisa narrowed her eyes. "This is my little sister that we're talking about. I have every right to go out and look for her. Escorting the 'necessary assistance' is not my job!"

Suddenly, the violette found herself looking at the side wall and her cheek was stinging in pain. Dumbfounded, she held her cheek and turned her head to look at her father.

"Stop acting like a child and do as you're told. You will be a hostess and nothing more. Failing to follow the elders' instructions will result in further disciplinary action. Are we understood?"

"...Yes sir."

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

Nagisa sat at the main pier of Saburo Island, her feet dangling over the clear blue waters as she looked out at the horizon. The 'necessary assistance' the elders were talking about were supposed to be arriving on the next boat. Apparently the Sea Daimyo had spoken to Kirigakure, so they were sending three shinobi to take care of the job. How this arrangement came to be, she didn't understand. It was common knowledge that Saburo Island didn't associate with killing machines.

"Miss Uchiumi! What a surprise to see you out here today." The older lady who had spoken to her yesterday appeared. "It's nice to see you not working for a change."

Nagisa chuckled softly as she leaned back into her palms. "Someone close to me said I needed to take a break from my routine."

"Well that person is very smart. At the rate you were going, you'd blink then look back and wonder where the time went." The woman laughed with her. "You're only young once so take the time to enjoy yourself. I'll be on my way now so you can relax."