Ch. 9 - Homecoming

"Thank you so much! We can never repay you for your kindness!"

Nagisa smiled as the last woman on her boat was returned to her family. The parents fervently expressed their gratitude to her, even though she couldn't accept it all because Kisame and Hitoshi did most of the work. Speaking of the two males, they disappeared soon after Lana returned to the Uchiumi docks, but that was after they were all approached by Enyo, the Uchiumi clan head, and the elders. The scene still unfolded in front of her eyes whenever she thought about it.

"Nagisa!" Enyo ran over to the docks. Seeing the state of Lana, he assumed the worst. "What on Earth were you possibly thinking? I told you to-"

"Dad?" Mizuko called as she stepped off of Lana with the help of her sister. Her body was covered in a blanket to keep the sunlight off of her, but Enyo could still see how pale she was. Instantly, the Uchiumi chief was at his daughters' side and holding them both in his arms.

The elders smiled in their robes and greeted the returning crew. "Excellent work in bringing the princesses home, gentlemen. We're happy to see them safe and sound."

Nagisa could see out of the corner of her eye how superficial their response looked. Her mind kept traveling towards the scroll that was tucked into her overalls. As Kisame and Hitoshi followed them inside the main house, she couldn't help but frown in disappointment.

Heading back to the clan grounds, Nagisa decided to take a little detour as she didn't want to go home just yet. Taking the scenic route, she walked through the natural trails of her home island. Although her surroundings were beautiful as always, she couldn't even focus on it as her steps grew slower and slower until they eventually stopped.

She'd opened up the scroll while she was still on Lana and the contents nearly made her sick. They were instructions that essentially powered the monstrosity to go on its kidnapping/killing spree. Apparently it would siphon chakra from the elders and her father every time it awakened to give itself energy, however some of the words were muddled so she couldn't read everything. It then gave a list of specific females to be kidnapped, including Mizuko's name, and had a clear directive to kill anything that got in its way.

"Why are you just standing out here?"

Nagisa turned around, leaving her thoughts, and faced Kisame as he was walking towards her. The male noticed immediately the tears brimming in her eyes. He was going to say something else, but the female let out a small laugh and wiped at her eyes.

"You always seem to catch me when I'm not at my best." She joked. "I think I have an eyelash in my eye, but I can get it out."

"Why are you treating me like I haven't been with you the whole time?" Kisame asked. "I'm starting to think you're taking one too many pages out of my book."

"To be fair, you were the one that said not to get close to you, Hoshigaki-san."

"And you still never paid attention to any of my warnings."

"Because they were stupid."

Kisame laughed at her response, genuinely amused by her antics. "So what are you going to do now? Enjoying the premise of living under the name, Hero Princess Nagisa?"

"Haha, very funny." Nagisa crossed her arms and started walking again. "I know I'm going to have to turn them in, but first I need to get the whole truth. I'd want to at least give my father the benefit of the doubt."

A memory flashed across Kisame's mind of him confronting the Cypher Division leader for selling information, then killing him for his wrong-doings towards the village. Surely she wouldn't go as far as he did, however their situations felt very similar.