Ch. 5 - Have You Stopped Caring?

"We're going to Hahajima, then move on from there." Hitoshi announced as he opened a scroll on the deck, revealing a map. "We start big and work our way down."

"It would make more sense to go somewhere like Jiro or, hear me out... Demon Island?" Shigeru shrugged. "Seems like it would fit the vibe better."

As Hitoshi murmured something under his breath, no doubt to release his irritation, Nagisa looked out to the sea. It hadn't been long since the quartet departed from her home island and the neighboring islands weren't too far - just about three quarters of an hour away by boat if the weather was decent. As far as she was concerned, she was just lucky enough to get this far considering the obstacles that she'd already faced.

"Since you're the native, answer me this. Which island has the most forestry, particularly trees?" Hitoshi turned his attention to the female, ignoring his partner's incessant commentary.

"Hahajima. Naturally, it's the biggest island and it has a few mossy covered mountains for potential caves." Nagisa answered. "But, it's also the most predictable place to go, so it's already been searched to no avail."

Shigeru smirked. "Then it's settled. You can go to Hahajima and scope out any missed spots while I take the princess with me to a more concrete solution to our problems. Sharky boy can go wherever his heart's content."

"And why do I have to go with you?" Nagisa narrowed her eyes.

"We've been through this everyday, princess, and yet my answer stays the same." Shigeru sighed. "Try to keep up, okay?"

Hitoshi pinched the bridge of his nose as he grew more and more agitated. "There's only one boat. Why would we split up like that? We can just go to Demon Island once we're done here-"

"You're contradicting me a lot today, blondie. You got something against me?"

Nagisa turned to Kisame, who seemed like he wasn't paying attention to the conversation. She had allowed him to use Lana, so the least he could do was speak up for her. Seeing as he hadn't made a move to do so, she decided to leave the conversation and go to the back of the boat. She guessed she could deal with the harassment for the bigger picture.

Once they reached Hahajima, it was 'collectively' decided that they would stay on one island and split up in pairs to make the process quicker. Unlucky for Nagisa, she was lumped in with Mr. Jackass Detective as they roamed the forest together. There was a bit of silence, which Nagisa enjoyed, before the male opened his mouth.

"So, tell me why I should believe you have nothing to do with your sister's disappearance."

Nagisa stopped in her tracks and crossed her arms. "I'm not going to repeat myself when I know you're just going to undermine me."

"Relax, princess." Shigeru laughed. "I won't cut you off this time, I promise."

She eyed him for a moment, still not believing a word he said. Nonetheless, she decided to talk since she knew he was going to keep pestering her about it. "I've always been my sister's protector and I made that promise to my mother. My sister inspires me and I would never wish any ill will towards her. I don't know what day will be the last one we share together because of her sickness so I always made sure she was never too far from me."

"Say I take that all at face value and rule you out. Who would be the next in line to take the blame?"

Nagisa thought over his question. After overhearing the snippet of the conversation in her family's meeting room, she had some suspicions, but no concrete evidence. Did the elders have a hand in this? Even worse... was her father the culprit?