Ch. 8 - A Night Well Spent

The bird screeched loudly as it spread its wings. So far, Nagisa knew the bird didn't shy away from close contact with fighting and resorted to creating gusts to keep its enemies at bay. Maybe if she could figure out its weak point, she'd be able to subdue it long enough to reach her sister. The only problem was, every time she thought of moving, her eyes would travel back to Shigeru's severed head.

"I have to get to my sister." The violette willed to herself, digging her nails into the palm of her hand so she could distract her mind.

"Then get her and get lost."

She nearly jumped at the sound of Kisame's voice. She'd been so focused on what she had to do and what could happen to her that she forgot she wasn't by herself. Glancing to the side, she noticed that he had stepped ahead of her and was fully prepared to face the monster in front of them.

"If you still have all that spunk, then you wouldn't hesitate." Kisame continued. "You had all this fire power before when you took it upon yourself to be a stowaway. You may as well continue to commit now."

"How can you just jump into a situation freely knowing that death is on the table?" Nagisa asked as she continued to look at him. Wasn't it human nature to be scared? Regardless of how she felt, she'd never been in a situation like this before and it felt like her body and her mind were two separate entities right now.

The shinobi shrugged in response. He'd been trained to act this way; it was all second nature. Besides that, it was also exciting for him - the thrill of a good fight. "Aren't you a fisherman? You know nature is unpredictable and unforgiving so why don't you think of it like that?"

Everything he said made sense, however it was illogical at the same time. What mattered the most at this point was that she wasn't alone. Stepping up towards him, she smiled with slight amusement. "Look at you, being so supportive and encouraging."

Kisame glanced down at the female beside him, somewhat relieved that she hadn't completely shut down in the face of death. "I specifically remember you promising I wouldn't have to kill you. I figured you wanted to uphold that."

Nagisa mulled over his words before smiling more to herself and grabbing a hold of her staff. She was too close to her goal to break her promise now. Nodding her head, she directed her attention to the bird. "Let's do this."

Kisame ran into battle first, swinging Samehada at the bird's chest. The bird folded its wings in front of itself for protection and pushed back against the male with brute strength. The two went back and forth, assessing each other's abilities through interactions. What amazed Kisame was how advanced the monster's thinking was; it was as if it was evolving as the fight progressed.

Nagisa inched along the perimeter of the nest, making sure she didn't move too suddenly and alert the bird. She couldn't help but notice the bird was making physical changes as the fight went on, like making its beak smaller as its wings grew larger for more fighting power. Pushing it to the back of her mind, she crept closer and closer towards her sister. Once she was a few meters from her sister's body, the bird completely ignored Kisame and immediately swept its wings towards Nagisa, creating a large gust of wind that almost blew her off the side of the nest. Kisame took that opportunity to use Samehada and hit the bird over the back of the head.

"Hey, are you okay?" The Kiri nin glanced over towards the nest wall to see the female standing back up.

"I'm fine!" She answered, activating her staff. The bird had recovered from Kisame's blow and proceeded to fly up into the air. Narrowing her eyes, she swung her staff, casting a chakra line with a hook flying from one end. Once she was successfully attached to the bird's ankle, she began to reel it in. The bird made its beak larger to try and chew on the line to free itself, but it was futile as Nagisa took this chance to yank it down with the help of Kisame. Once the bird crashed into the nest cavity, the violette immediately sprinted towards her sister.