Benedict & Sophie

Benedict met Florence when he was around 15 years old, they got married young. They were married for a couple of years, Florence eventually got pregnant with their first child, they were both excited to be parents, shocked it happened so fast into their marriage but still very happy and excited. It wasn't until after the birth and Florence was loosing a lot of blood and the nurse told him that they cant do anything. He was at her bedside, crying as she slipped away. In a hour he turned from a happy married man with a family to a miserable widowed single father. In the following weeks, flowers were sent, condolences was sent, he didn't leave the house, he spent all his time looking after his son George. It wasn't until a couple months after Florence's passing that Benedict eventually went out to one of his mothers ball, he left George at home with his nanny. He knew that he needed to re marry to be able to provide a mother to George, he knew no one could replace the love of his life and the mother of his child, but he was determined to make sure George was brought up with a stable family. 

It was at one of these balls that he saw Sophie, she was a spinster and only there to chaperone her younger sister. He didn't really know what made him go over and talk to her but he did, his mother was looking at them with a smile on her face, glad that her son was looking for love again, she really thought he would be a single dad for the rest of his life. Benedict knew that Sophie was older than him and that goes against society's standards but he didn't care, she was kind, it didn't matter that she was a spinster and people would tell him to avoid it and pick someone else. There was a mutual attraction there and they both knew it. 

It was after a couple of weeks, going on multiple promenades, sending flowers and getting approval from each others family's, only then did Benedict propose to her. She assured him that even though she was in love with him that she didn't want to replace his late wife. She wanted to be there for both George and Benedict, she knew they had gone through hard times and she wanted them to know they could turn to her. Benedict had some guilt of moving on but knew that Florence would approve of Sophie, knowing they would have gotten along. That secured the idea that he wanted to marry her. She loved him and George, he knew it and they both loved her too. He couldn't think of anything better than being with her and having a happy family.