pt.2

'What do you mean you spent the night!?' Glimmer's shrill voice screamed down the phone so loud Adora had to pull the device away from her ear to save her hearing. After a moment, she tentatively replaced it when she heard Glimmer continue, 'me and Bow were so worried when you didn't come back! You could have said something!'

'I'm really sorry, Glimmer,' Adora began, because she was, 'one thing just kind of led to another. She was really ill. Like, really bad. When I saw how awful she looked at the door I offered to prepare the food for her a bit. She went into her room, I took it to her, and then I just sort of... stayed?'

Glimmer mumbled something about useless fucking lesbians but it was completely lost on Adora. In all honesty, she was practically buzzing. She'd spent the night! At Catra's place! Yeah, she'd slept on the sofa, checking on her host throughout the night whenever she woke up from the couch being too uncomfortable, changing out Catra's glass of water every time so it was fresh and triple checking that the medication she'd placed nearby was the right kind for magicats. But that was fine. Adora managed it. She was great, and Catra had even said thanks at the end of it and smiled at her.

God her eyes are pretty.

Adora was, to use some of Glimmer's language, completely fucked.

She'd had crushes on girls before, but it wasn't until a year or so ago that she realised that that's what that feeling was. It was so bad that it took Glimmer leading Adora by the arm to a corner of the party at Sea Hawk's place and asked, "you're gay right?", for Adora's whole world to pause while her brain went:

Oh shit! I'm totally gay!

And with that revelation out of the way, Adora's whole perspective on love shifted. She'd always wondered why certain girls made her feel funny, and guys made her feel... nothing? All her friends in school had always talked about boys, and Adora did the usual "haha yeah" to feel included, but it wasn't until years later when faced with a question from her new best friend in the corner of a frankly crappy party that she could say "haha yeah" unironically.

"What's your poison?" Was Glimmer's follow-up question.

"Girls," had been Adora's confident answer. She'd even nodded. Look at her go.

So when Adora happened to stumble into what was just a random café after a particularly long night of hiding Wii remotes with Bow and Glimmer around their shared flat, feeling groggy and in need of something strong to wake her up, she was woefully unprepared to come face-to-face with an altogether unfairly effective pick-me-up alternative in the form of a, quite frankly, beautiful magicat woman standing opposite her on the other side of the counter. They stared into each other's eyes for a few moments too long, but there was no-one to pull them out of it, what with it being so early. It was actually Adora's phone alarm that shook them out of their stupor, ringing loud and proud as if to say "wake up dumbass you've slept in", but actually said "wake up dumbass you're lost in her eyes". After a quick apology on Adora's end and a dismissive flick of an ear on the barista's, Adora left the chain-café with something a little sweeter than what she'd ordered in her hand, and something a little sweeter than a crush settling into her heart. 

'You're coming back to the flat right now and telling us what the the hell you've been doing in that coffee shop,' came Glimmer's voice once again, wrenching Adora back to reality from deep within her own thoughts, just in time for Adora to realise she was about to walk into a lamppost and completely avoid it like a boss. Hell yeah, nailed it. Adora 1, lamppost 0. If her hands weren't full of her phone and leftovers that Catra didn't want, she'd have done finger guns at it.