pt.8

Adora's gay.

A lesbian.

Attracted to girls.

But holy shit.

They aren't exactly sure where all their confidence came from, back there in Catra's bedroom. Sure, they were prepared to do something like that eventually—magicats have especially complicated grooming needs compared with, say, humans—but one thing Adora was not prepared for was the effect that seeing Catra's (naked!) back for the first time would have on them. It took them a moment to gather themselves, to push down their desires, to help Catra in the way that she needed helping. Thinking about anything else in the moment was wrong, so Adora pushed through.

But then Catra started purring, and sighing, and dropped the towel from her chest.

It took everything Adora had to remain on task, to not get distracted, to be useful to Catra, to earn the title of being her girl– partner. Of being her partner.

But, as soon as they'd finished, Catra seemed to tense, her shoulders barely relaxed, and Adora's education kicked in. They knew about tense muscles, where to press to release that tension, how to do it in a way that doesn't hurt, so... That's what they did. They helped more. The noises Catra made, ever-so-clear with the hair dryer turned off, combined with how soft her back felt after being dried may have gotten to their head, though. Which was right around the time Adora felt a plump squish under one hand, heard a squeak of surprise from Catra, and promptly returned to reality.

That return to reality was punctuated by a loud shout in their mind of just the word BOOB and then PANIC in that order and looped until they were standing and facing away and apologising as much as they could as fast as possible so Catra would know they didn't mean to do that and then...

Catra hugged them.

Catra thanked them.

Catra said what they did for her was nice.

But she was also still half naked, and Adora's boob-siren didn't stop whirring until Catra was no longer pressed up against their back and Adora was safely hiding in her kitchen.

And now they're walking, hand-in-hand, through Krytis' shopping district toward the cinema, and Adora is desperately trying to focus on what Catra is talking about and not the fact that she's wearing a leather jacket and looks hot as fuck in it. She's wearing it like it was made specifically for her, which is the only explanation, really. The whole history of Etheria, the evolution of man, hybrids, the invention of the wheel—everything—happened just so that Catra could be united with that jacket and turn Adora into a puddle of gay.

Even just holding hands with Catra is distracting. Her hands are soft, warm, small, and fit into Adora's like they were made for exactly that purpose. However, Adora can also feel Catra's claws lightly digging into the back of their hand every time Catra squeezes it, and it's hard not to picture that pressure, those pin-pricks of deadly sharpness... elsewhere.

Walking down that street, holding hands with a beautiful woman, listening to the gravely timbre of her voice as she talks about her co-worker's boyfriend drama, makes Adora's heart feel full, and they almost audibly gasp as they realise the extent of their feelings for Catra all over again.

Adora's falling, faster and harder than they ever have before. It's scary, but this, Catra, whatever's happening between them...it feels so right.

'Is this the place?'

It takes Adora a moment to realise that they've stopped, that Catra asked a question, and is looking between them and the Moonlight Theatre.