Chapter 20: A New Weapon

We pull up to the apartment complex and Happy gave me a stern look. 'Don't do anything your father would do.' I nod with a small smile. 'But, also, don't do anything he wouldn't do.'

'There's a grey area, yes I know,' I said, rolling my eyes. 'Thanks for the ride Happy.'

He smiles slightly and I get out of the car and walk into the building. I was wearing my suit under a black t-shirt, jeans, and a plaid light coat. My hair was already up, and my mask was shoved in an inside pocket of my jacket. I was dreading this.

I knocked on his apartment door as I tapped my finger on my leg. A really pretty women opened the door and I assumed it was his aunt. I hope she hadn't met my dad when him and Pepper were broken up. Otherwise, I should apologize.

'Maya, right?' she asked. I nod and smile at her. 'Hi, you can call me May. Come on in. I'll get Peter.'

'Thank you,' I say, as she moves out of the way. She leads me to the living room, and I sit down.

'So, you and Peter met during the trip to Germany, right?'

'Yeah,' I said. 'My dad thought it would be good for me to...hang with people my own age; as he put it.'

'I'll go get Peter,' May said. I nodded as she walked into the hallway.

I lean back on the couch and try to understand why I didn't just tell Parker no. I mean I don't usually give in so easily and I was annoyed with myself. My dad hadn't forgiven me yet. I should not do this.

'I really didn't think you'd come,' Parker said, sitting on the couch.

'I'm a girl of my word,' I say. 'I still think this is a bad idea.'

He shrugs. 'It'll be fine. We have to pick up Ned and then go to the party. I have it all planned.'

'Sure you do,' I say, rolling my eyes.

'You are wearing your suit, right?' he asked.

I rolled my eyes again as I pulled the sleeve of my jacket up slightly to show the black fabric. He nods, satisfied, before we leave to go pick up Ned. The car ride was awkward, even after we picked up Ned. I spent the whole time staring out the window, my leg bouncing. If my dad found out I was going to a party, to show off my powers none the less, I'd be killed. He already doesn't trust me. This is such a stupid idea. When we did pull up to Liz's house, we all just kind of stared at it.

'House party in the suburbs,' May said. 'Oh, I remember these. Kind of jealous.'

'It'll be a night to remember,' said Ned. I stare at the house and zone out slightly as they talk about Ned's hat.

'This is a mistake,' Parker said. 'Hey, lets just go home.'

'I second,' I say, looking away from the mirror.

'You've been to plenty of parties though,' Ned said. I glare at him.

'Oh, Peter,' May says. 'I know. I know it's really hard trying to fit in with all the changes your body's going through.' I try really hard to suppress a laugh. 'It's flowering now.' I let out a chuckle covering my mouth. 'He's so stressed out lately,' she says to Ned.

'What helps with stress is going to a party,' Ned says. 'We should go to the party.'

'Yeah, let's do it,' Parker said. 'I'm gonna go.'

'We sure?' I say, staring at the house.

'Maya, you've been to bigger parties than this,' Parker said. 'Come on.'