Chapter 119: I'm stubborn, he's patient, a perfect fit

Peter and I walk along the bridge, both of us limping. He keeps a hold of my arm and I try not to put to much weight on him. My shin burned, my arm throbbed, and I was exhausted. I stumble but catch my balance quickly. Peter stops walking with me. Concern in his eyes.

'I just... I just need a minute,' I say, taking deep breaths.

'Can I ask you something?' I nod. 'Wh—What did he show you?'

'He showed me a lot,' I said, taking shaky breathes. 'He showed me Nat. Then he had Nat's voice show me dad and Steve leaving. Saying how he didn't even care to stay. But I know she wouldn't say that. It felt off anyway. I know it isn't true. Then Sam showed up, telling me I was a traitor. That I didn't trust him. And you... Well, you said a lot that I know isn't actually true. It wasn't really any of you. It just made me... blow up, I guess. I didn't even know I could release that much energy. But the screams did make me feel better.'

Peter smiles. 'Well, that's a plus.' He studies me for a second. 'I'm glad you decided to fight against that jerk.'

'Me to,' I said, smiling. 'We've always been better partners anyway.'

We stare at each other for a second before I voice interrupts.

'Maya!' I hear. I turn to see MJ running towards us. She throws down a... morning star I think and runs over to us. I limp forward slightly as she gives me a quick hug.

'Are you guys, okay?' she asks.

'We're okay,' I assure. 'Are you? Is everyone else?'

'Yeah, everyone's fine,' she says.

'What happened?' Peter asks, coming to stand next to me. Probably prepared to catch me if I need it.

'There was just the drones, and they were following us, and then they just stopped,' MJ said. 'That was you two?'

'Yeah,' Peter said.

I could see Ned walking from a distance. He didn't seem to be in as much hurry as MJ was, but he was more used to this.

'You got him?'

'Yeah,' I said.

'Well, I, uh... brought that,' MJ said. Pointing to the morning star. 'In case, you needed some help. Ned's also coming.' We nod. 'Oh, right!' MJ says pulling something out of her pocket. 'There was a sweaty guy in the tower with us and he said to give you this in front of Peter so... here.'

She goes to hand it to me, but Peter grabs it from her hands first.

'Wait, what is it?' I ask turning to Peter.

He hesitates and then huffs. 'This is stupid. Maya, I had this whole, uhm, stupid plan thing.'

'I know,' I said. He gives me a confused look. 'You and Ned are the least secretive people ever. You aren't slick.'

He holds his palm out to show a broken glass necklace. 'It was supposed to be a planet.'

I smile. 'I bet it was beautiful.'

'Yeah...' Peter said, looking at me. He smiles and shakes his head. 'We do not make things easy.'

I laugh. 'No. No we don't. I've never been good at... emotions. It's a Stark thing.'

'I just... I didn't know if it was the right time,' Peter said. 'And then when all of this come to light, I figured you'd want to wait.' I roll my eyes. 'Sort everything out. Which I totally get and resp—'

I kiss him. It was quick. Just enough to shut him up. A smile forms on his face as he processes everything.

'I like you, Parker,' I said. 'For some strange reason.'

He rolls his eyes. 'You can't not be sarcastic, can you?'

I shrug. 'It's really not my fault. Seriously. It took my dad who knows how long to admit he liked Pepper. I don't know maybe—'

Before I could finish, he kissed me. His hand that's not holding the broken necklace cups my cheek. I sink into his touch. The kiss was soft, hesitant if anything. Yet, it was familiar. It was always familiar with Peter. It always felt like home.

'Finally!' Ned's voice said. Peter and I broke apart to look at him and MJ. I had forgotten they were there. 'I mean I've had to be the third wheel for years to two people who wouldn't admit their feelings. Do you know how exhausting that was?'

Peter and I look at each other and start laughing. My arm still throbbed, and I was exhausted but everything would be okay. Peter and I collected ourselves and look back at Ned and MJ.

'Come on,' MJ said, with a small smiling. 'We have to get back to the class.'

Ned nodded. 'What are you two going to do?'

Peter and I look at each other, both of us realizing we didn't know. I should probably get medical attention, but we weren't even supposed to be here.

'We, uh, don't know,' Peter said. 'We'll figure it out. You two go on.'

MJ grabs the morning star. 'Just in case.'

Peter and I watch the two walk away, talking to each other. Probably about us. Peter's hand moves from my cheek to my hand.

'You'll always stick by my side, huh?' He says smirking.

I roll my eyes. 'Lead the way to wherever, Parker. I couldn't get anywhere on my own anyway.' He smiles as we head to the opposite side of the bridge.