Chapter 43: Goodbye.

I stand behind the couch where Morgan and Pepper sit in a simple black dress. I stand there with my arms bracing myself on the back of the couch looking at my dad's hologram, a tear rolling down my cheek.

'Everybody wants a happy ending, right?' the hologram was saying. 'But it doesn't always roll that way. Maybe this time. I'm hoping if you play this back, it's in celebration. I hope families are reunited, I hope we get it back, and something like a normal version of the planet has been restored. If there ever was such a thing. God, what a world. Universe, now. If you told me ten years ago that we weren't alone, let alone, you know, to this extent, I mean, I wouldn't have been surprised. But come on, you know? The epic forces of darkness and light have come into play. And for better or worse, that's the reality Maya has already seen way too much of and the reality Morgan's gonna have to find a way to grow up in.

'So, I thought I'd probably better record a little greeting...in the case of an untimely death on my part. I mean, not that, death at any time isn't untimely. This time travel thing that we're gonna try and pull off tomorrow, its—its got me scratching my head about the survivability of it all. That's the thing. Then again, that's the hero gig. Part of the journey is the end.' The hologram gets up walking towards the camera. 'What am I even trippin' for? Everything's gonna work out exactly the way it's supposed to. Which means,' the hologram looks right at me, 'I love you more than you love me, and you know it, kid.' The hologram bends down to look at Morgan. 'And I love you 3,000.' The message ends. I hold in a sob. A string of pain hiding in the back of my throat.

After we watch that, more people started showing up. I hadn't really talked to any of them since it all happened, not really wanting to. I waited upstairs until everyone was here. It was easier that way. I then walked down the steps, Pepper spotted me and walked over.

'People have been asking for you,' she said, her voice soft.

'Who?' I ask, tears already threating to slip from my eyes.

'Steve, Wanda, Rhodey, some guy named Scott,' she listed. 'Oh, Thor. Well, he asked for "Mini-Stark" but still.'

I smile slightly, blinking back tears. 'I'll get to everyone.'

'There's a talking racoon,' she also said. 'Over there.' She pointed towards a corner. I recognized Quill, Drax, and Mantis. As well as Nebula who I met up in space. Pepper told me she helped my dad when they were stuck in space. I nod at Pepper and walk over to them.

'So, you travel with a tree and a racoon. Why am I not surprised?' I said as I got up to them.

'Who are you calling a racon?' the raccoon said.

'I am Groot,' the tree said.

'Cool it, you two,' Quill said. 'She's been through enough.' He looks at me. 'I'm sorry, Maya. About everything. Your dad was a good man. He grows on a person.'

I nod, swallowing the frequent lump in my throat. 'Thanks, Quill.' I turn my attention to Nebula, who was trying to sink into the wall. 'You're Nebula, right?' She nods. 'Pepper told me what you did for my dad. I'm sure he appreciated the company. Thank you.'

'Tony was a good man,' she said.

'Yeah, he was,' I agreed.

'Maya,' Pepper said from behind me. I turn to see her standing with a teen that I didn't recognize. 'There's someone I want you to meet.'

I nodded my goodbye at the group and walked over to Pepper.

'This is Harley.'

'The Harley?' I asked, shocked. 'Like when I was 13, the kid my dad talked about for like two days?'