Chapter 91: One World, One People

I got there a little bit before Sam. He had to discuss some things with Sarah and make a call, so I got a head start. I got to New York pretty quickly. Home sweet home. I met Bucky on the ground. NYPD were everywhere and there was a complete lockdown at the GCR meeting. Bucky and I weaved around all the people outside the building.

'I'm almost there,' came Sam's voice over comms.

'What's the plan?' Bucky asked.

'Karli's gotta be close,' I say.

'Keep your eyes open,' Sam said.

'Well, it could be anybody,' Bucky mumbled.

The two officers blocking the way to the door parted for us and muttered a greeting. I give them a polite nod.

'And by the way,' Sam said, 'I called in some backup.'

'Excuse me? Are you two supposed to be here?' Bucky and I turn to a man standing behind us. He reaches up and takes off his hat, as well as something disguising his face. Sharon was the result of the familiar SHIELD tech. 'It's me.'

'Sharon, what the hell are you doing here?' Bucky asked.

Sharon rolled her eyes. 'Relax. No one's looking for me here.'

'I don't think that's why he was asking,' I mumble.

'Do I hear Sharon?' Sam asked.

'Sadly,' I said.

'Hey, Sam,' Sharon said. 'I thought I'd get the band together.'

'Thank you,' said Sam. 'You're risking a lot coming here.'

Sharon shrugs. 'Hear pardons aren't all they're cracked up to be anyway.'

'Depends on the therapist,' said Bucky. I roll my eyes at him.

'They're gonna move on the building soon,' Sam said. 'Be ready.'

The three of us walk outside the building trying to find anything suspicious. Nothing happens.

'Maya, Bucky, Sharon, what's going on, on your end?' Sam asked.

'Nothing,' I reply. 'All quiet.'

'No one's moving toward the building,' Bucky said.

'Karli's not coming in. She's trying to force everybody out.' The three of us walk through a door walking through as Sam says, 'You guys are gonna have to do something. Don't let 'em out of the building.'

Sharon sets off a metal detector and Bucky and I look at her.

'Oops,' she said.

Bucky turns back around and motions out the window at a guy and says, 'Here's one of them. We'll get the evac.'

Bucky and I start walking deeper into the building. We were walking down a hallway when a lady walks up to us with a phone in hand.

'Mr. Barnes,' she says, 'it's Karli.' Bucky takes the phone hesitantly.

'Put it on speaker,' I whispered. He rolls his eyes, but does as I ask.

'Karli?' he says as we walk down the steps.

'Aren't you two tired of fighting for the wrong side, Mr. Barnes? Maya?' Karli said. I don't question how she knows I'm listening. Bucky shakes his head towards me, telling me not to speak. I nod back at him.

'I've done this before, kid,' Bucky said. 'I know how it ends.'

'It doesn't matter if I don't survive this,' Karli said. 'I'm fighting for something bigger than myself. With all the bodies you've collected, have you ever been able to say the same?'