Shine

Wasn't it strange to dream of someone, even when you were wide awake?

You didn't want to let anyone know, but there was a genuine reason for your sudden interest in learning about stars and constellations.

Sirius: The brightest star

That was one of the first things you'd found out about the man. It probably was one of the rare things his mother had done rightly. He was truly the brightest of all, but learning about stars didn't include their appearance, height or weight. It was about how they felt. It was about how they lived.

It was about how they loved.

Yes. He had long black hair and piercing gray eyes. He was charming, mysterious, charismatic, handsome and lovely. But this wasn't what what you wanted to learn. You wanted to know him and his true feelings. He was painfully reserved though. He didn't talk too much and kept everything to himself.

From your occasional talks with Remus, you'd discovered that Sirius had become the exact opposite of his cheerful self after being locked up in Azkaban for 12 years. He was still anxious, waiting for the day he would be a free man again. 12 years living in a dark place while you were innocent was the most unfair thing that could happen to someone.

You had to change it. You had to make him forget his past. But... Why you? He could never choose you, could he?

In all honesty, you desperately wanted to break his gloomy walls and find his darkest secrets. You wanted to know what things could cheer him up. You couldn't remember how you started to have feelings for him, but you wanted to make him happy.

That was a promise, but there was a problem. You had learned one more thing too.

You can't get too close to stars.

So you had only admired him from a distance. You had assumed it to be a short-lived crush. One of those crushes that gradually fades, but you were wrong. You couldn't ignore the fact that you were infatuated with him in such a short time. Maybe a few months.

As a member of The Order, you had many important things to do. Collecting information, planning next movements and completing different missions. There wasn't enough time for anything else, but you weren't blind.

You had noticed the way he would try to smile a little wider whenever you were around. He would laugh at your jokes a little louder, hold your hand a little tighter and stare at you a little longer. He was making your heart beat a thousand times faster and he didn't even know it.

Maybe he knew it.

This was all good and you liked his additional attention on you, but none of his actions were stable. One day he was so friendly and welcoming and the next day he wouldn't even smile back at you.

He seemed to have internal doubts and battles or it was just the side effects of his years in Azkaban. You had no clue which one was true.

Nothing special had happened for so long until one night when you had gone downstairs to drink some water, you'd heard things that made your heart flutter with happiness. You didn't mean to know about his feelings for you, but that night you had overheard part of his conversation with Remus.