Pain

Finnegan."

"Yes."

"The git who was always blowing things up?"

"Or catching them on fire." She hesitated, biting her lip before continuing on. "He did amazing things using both of those talents at the Battle of Hogwarts."

"Yes," Malfoy drawled, eyes cast to the ceiling as if the Gods themselves might grant him more patience. "And what has he done since then?"

Theo, lovely Theo, who always knew what to say and when to say it, decided to chime in. "He stitched my arm back on after it had been nearly severed by a Death Eater." Theo paused. "Wait, now that I think about it, it was you that fired that slicing hex. Fuck you, Malfoy."

Hermione sighed.

"It's not my fault you and Pansy have been glamouring yourselves. I thought I was just killing some unimportant Order member."

Theo glared towards Draco as Ginny wrapped a supportive arm around his waist. "Well now you know it was your unimportant best friend."

Malfoy stared dumbfounded at Theo for a moment more before turning his eyes on Hermione.

"You're telling me that blithering idiot is a healer."

Hermione nodded. "A field healer. He duels and heals, depending on where he's needed." She paused, mouth open. "As will Blaise."

Draco threw his hands up and then gestured wildly at the limp figure that hadn't moved since he'd been placed on the thin cot nearly four days ago. "Maybe we're worrying over all this for nothing because I'm pretty sure you killed him in your duel."

Hermione crossed her arms over her chest. "Apologies, but when someone is hurling Unforgivables at you with the speed and accuracy of a trained fighter, you tend to aim for the jugular."

"And whoever healed him must be daft. Clearly they did something wrong."

" Nothing was done wrong! He was healed with plenty of time and accuracy by a skilled witch."

"Your bind diagnostic states otherwise," he muttered.

Hermione's eyes widened and she charged forward, shoving her finger into his chest. " You're the one who came up with the idea to bind Zabini. I convinced the Council. I created a watch schedule to ensure there's someone always here and I came here to cast the diagnostic, check his vitals and even had the decency to update you on what's happening." She crossed her arms over her chest once more, with even more attitude this time. "You get to tell Seamus."

Malfoy's eyebrows rose into his hairline. He let out a laugh but Hermione's face remained.

"I think I find myself speaking with way more Gryffindors than I ever bargained for, thanks. Not interested in adding another to the list."

Hermione clenched her fists. He was so infuriating. She could punch him, right here and right now. Ginny would pretend to be looking the other way and judging by the hurt expression still marring Theo's Face, he'd probably just cheer her on.

She drew her wand and pointed it at Zabini's temple. "Shall I just kill him now, then? Which spell would you prefer, contusion or mucus?"

Malfoy's shoulders heaved as he breathed heavily through gritted teeth. His eyes were wild; swimming with anger and for the first time in ages she could see it. Draco Malfoy, Death Eater. The man who had captured, tortured and killed dozens of Order members. She reminded herself she should be scared, terrified even. She could feel his hatred flowing through his veins and into her mind, clouding all reasonable thought.