Chapter 3

Back in John's basement, Maria's labour was progressing. She was on the floor, crying out in pain and fear as tears fell down her face.

Just then, the door creeked open. John came in and walked over. "Sleep well?" He asked, in a smug tone. "No" said Maria. "Sit up. You look ridiculous" he snapped. Maria tried to sit up as best as she could. "I can't move" she said, crying her eyes out. "I said sit up!" Yelled John. "Please let me go" said Maria. "Like I said, you're not going anywhere" John snarled. "Please. The baby's coming" said Maria. "Oh, Maria. Did you honestly think I was going to believe that one?" Said John.

"It's not a trick. Please" said Maria. "I don't believe you" said John. "You have to believe me" said  Maria. "Oh, but I don't" said John. Just then, Maria groaned and took deep breaths as she felt another contraction. John rolled his eyes. "Give up, Maria. It's not going to work" he said. "I need to get back to my family" said Maria. "I am tired of hearing about that bloody family of yours!" John shouted. "They'll be worried!" Snapped Maria.

John slapped her hard again. "Don't you snap at me" he yelled. "Stop hitting me" said Maria. "Shut up! For the last time, you're not going anywhere!" Snapped John. "You are never going to see that little family of yours ever again". "Yes, I will. You wait and see" said Maria. "If you bring up anything to do with that family or letting you go, you'd better hope that baby doesn't come" said John.

"Why? What will you do?" Asked Maria. John bent down to Maria's level to they were at eye level with one another.  "You don't want to know" he said with that same evil smirk on his face. "I won't let you hurt him or her" said Maria. "You're lucky I came down to check on you. I won't be doing it again" John hissed. Then he slowly stood up and left. Maria cried her eyes out once more.