Falling Apart

It was so, unbelievably terrifying being in the quiet man's house, and having absolutely no idea where he was. He could be anywhere. Around the corner, in the next room, the other end of the house. For all we knew he was not even here anymore. He could be down the mountain collecting from all of his traps.

Jacob and I were slowly sneaking down the hall at a snail's pace. Trying to be light on our feet so that the boards underneath us would not creak and give us away.

I don't even know how it was possible, but it seemed like the house was quieter now than it ever had been. It was so silent that I could hear the blood roaring in my ears.

Jacob walked slightly ahead of me. His eyes scouting around for any movement from within the darkness. I could tell how much it was hurting his brain though. Without his glasses, it was hard enough for him to make things out.

Considering that if it was not for the fact that he was the one leading me I would take his place so that he was not hurting himself.

Once we exited the room and entered the dark hallway we ended up going left. Away from the small dining room Gunner had me in not too long ago and into the areas that I still had not yet seen.

I was no more than a step behind my friend. Moving as fast as he was and stepping exactly where he placed his feet. I was trying as hard as I could to be as quiet as possible. How could I be quieter than someone who had a mountain infamously named after him though?

I could not help but look back every few seconds. Not only to check to see If we were still safe, but because a part of me wanted to go back. Not back to the room, but back to find the rest of our friends. Maybe if we all were together then he would not be able to take on all of us.

The only problem with that was we were severely exposed. We were already sitting ducks and he would more than likely find us before we could all get together. Still... it might be worth more of a try than the plan we had now.

Taking in a deep breath, I reached forward, about to tell Jacob my thoughts before he stopped abruptly. I almost crashed into him, but I was able to catch myself before I did.

" This is it Y/N. The stairs to the lower levels are behind this door." He whispered before grasping onto the metal door handle. He twisted it and pushed the door open and let it swing forward.

He and I both cringed as a low squeaking filled the air. I was clenching my teeth so harshly against each other I was afraid they might shatter. The smaller man quickly pulled me across the doorway and onto the descending stairs.

The door shut behind us and not only did it get insanely quiet once more. We were now in complete pitch black darkness. There were no windows down here to give us even the slightest bit of moonlight to guide our way. We were stumbling along in the dark now.

" Jacob, we can't do this if we can't see! We need to turn back and find a different way through." I hissed through clenched teeth. My body still shaking with fear. I was almost completely certain that Gunner had heard that, and was now on his way to investigate.

All he had to do was find the right door, open it, and there we were. Sitting ducks waiting to be shot, plucked, and cooked for dinner. I already knew what it felt like to be hunted by the man. I knew how easily and how quietly he could sneak up on his prey.

" Wait Y/N... I think I feel something." That was all I heard him say before he flipped some kind of switch and the both of us were developed in light. There was a rumbling and a tinkering sound as if some type of engine or generator was struggling to turn on. The lights above us struggled for a second, flickering on and off many times before coming alive completly.