Chapter 18.

Nora's POV

"Happy birthday honey." Rosie pulled me into her arms and gave me a big squeeze.

"Thank you so much for my happy birthday party Rosie." I found myself getting choked up as I looked at this beautiful woman, who for some reason cared about me. She cared enough about me to throw me this party and make me feel special and loved.

"It was our pleasure kid." Fiero gave me a one-armed hug.

Enzo was waiting at the door with his arms full of my gifts, watching us say our goodbyes.

"Go on kid, before we lose Enzo and Mr. Grumpy shows up again." Fiero whisper yelled dramatically. I heard my Enzo sigh in annoyance and couldn't help but giggle.

"I'd better go, but maybe...maybe I could come back some time and we can make something from one of the books you got me?" I asked Rosie hopefully. I was always worried about being a bother, but I enjoyed her company so much, I made my selfish request anyways. I was an only child, but I imagined this is what having an older sister felt like.

"Of course hon. You come over any time you want." She gave me one last hug and gently pushed me towards Enzo, with Tank by my side.

Even though the night had been so wonderful, the day's events had thoroughly exhausted me. I kicked off my high heels as soon as I walked through the door and finger combed through my curls.

"Did you have a good birthday sweetheart?" Enzo deposited my gifts on the dining table and pulled me into his arms.

"It was the best birthday I've ever had." I said sincerely. These people adopted me into their family with no question. Family was more than just blood. That was an important lesson they'd taught me. I tried to make things work with my uncle, but he had no interest in coexisting peacefully with me. I've never felt like I belonged more than I did here.

"I'm happy you enjoyed yourself. I'm sorry we couldn't celebrate on the day of though." He sighed. He looked remorseful.

"We were a little preoccupied that day." I reminded him with a small smile. "Can we go to bed now Enzo? I'm a little bit tired." As if to prove my point, a small yawn escaped my lips.

"Of course baby girl. Come on." I went upstairs to my room to get ready for bed. I haven't slept here since the first night I spent in Enzo's bed. After grabbing my pajamas, I went into the bathroom to do my business and wash all of my makeup off.

I took a second to study my face and thought about the first night Enzo brought me home. I was so disgusted with what I saw in the mirror, I could hardly stand it. The feeling of repulsion was so strong, I had to turn away from the mirror. I felt so beautiful tonight after Rosie did my hair and makeup, and now, though my face was bare, I still saw the face of the beautiful girl I was in the red dress.

Enzo was already on his side of the bed with the covers open, waiting for me. Tank had settled himself in his own bed. He must have gotten tuckered out from the party too.

Before joining my Enzo, I stopped to take the necklace he had gifted me off since I didn't want to accidentally break the chain in my sleep or something. I took a second to look at it again. It was so lovely. He had chosen the perfect design for me. I would never wear anything flashy and covered in diamonds. It was simple and elegant.

I tuned the pendant over and noticed it had an engraving on the back that I hadn't seen earlier.

Sei il mio mondo

I ran my finger over the beautifully carved cursive letters.

"Hey, Enzo?" I called out, making my way to him.

"Yes sweetheart?" he sat up on the edge of the bed.

"What does this mean?" I held the necklace out for him to read.

He took my unoccupied hand and brushed hips lips against my knuckles.

"It means you're my world." His eyes had so much emotion burning behind his eyes, the urge to look away was strong but I resisted.

I hadn't stopped thinking about my conversation with Rosie. If Enzo did have strong feelings, I had to be brave, like her, and let him in. I didn't want to ruin the miniscule chance I had at being with him. He said I belonged by his side, and I had to take his word for it.

I had denied my own feelings for him for these few months because I never thought he would want me back. I couldn't ignore them anymore. He was possibly the only man who I felt at ease with. He made me feel safe and cared for. He provided anything I needed without me asking or knowing I needed it in the first place. Whenever our eyes met, my heart ached. I had written that feeling off as nerves but now I think it was longing; longing to move our relationship forward.

He didn't once complain about having to carry all of my baggage. He took me for everything I was and never asked me to change for him. As hard as it was going to be for me to really open up, I had to try. He worked so hard to make sure I was taken care of and comfortable, often at the sacrifice of his own comfort, so I was going to work hard too.

I took a small step and sat myself down in his lap, his hands automatically coming up to circle my waist. His eyes widened in surprise but only slightly. My heartbeat was fast and loud in my eardrums, but there was no going back now. My eyes darted down to his lips only to jump back up and meet his gaze. He stayed perfectly still, not even breathing, but never broke eye contact with me.

My mind was screaming all of the things that could go wrong, but there was no turning back now. I raised my hand and cupped the side of his face, my chest heaving slightly. Slowly, I closed the gap between us until I pressed my lips to his.