Chapter 7.

Enzo's POV

The second bullet wasn't far behind the first. I yanked Nora inside the building, keeping her away from the tall windows that stretched from nearly floor to ceiling. She was gasping, trying to keep up with me, but I couldn't worry about that now. I had to focus on getting her out of here. She wasn't supposed to be around this part of my life. Other customers were staring at us and exclaiming loudly, but I didn't give a fuck about them. I could afford to lose a couple of customers. We sprinted down the spiral staircase and slammed through the doors that led to the kitchens.

Close calls like this never phased me. I had long gotten used to people wanting my head on a plate, but the beautiful angel I had in tow was not. She must be terrified. I glanced back at her and her face was flushed and her eyes were wide. Just get her out safe.

"Raff!" I barked as I burst into a manager's office. "Sniper in the building across from my private balcony. It looked like it came from above, the third or fourth floor maybe. I didn't get a great look. Get some men and find him. I want him alive." I demanded. "And have the valet park my car in the back alley."

"Yes Sir." Raffaelo answered immediately.

He not only managed my restaurant but also managed the less than legal dealings that happened behind the scenes here. He was one of my more trusted men. That raised the question of who notified the enemy gunman where I was. I would need to get Raff to look into all of our staff, but right now, I had other things to prioritize.

"We're going to get out of here through the back alley okay?" I informed Nora as gently as I could in my adrenaline-fueled state. "I don't know what's waiting for us on the other side of that door, but if things go to shit, leave me if you have to, but get yourself out of here. Do I make myself clear?"

Her eyes were brimming with tears and as badly as I wanted to comfort her, now wasn't the time. "I need you to be my brave girl right now. Can you do that for me?" She nodded and clutched her trembling hands to her chest. I pulled my gun from its holster and made sure it was loaded.

"Good girl." I kissed her forehead and opened the back entrance that exited into an alley, where my car should already be waiting for us.

As soon as we stepped out, a man rushed me. My reflexes were fast enough to shove Nora out of the way and sternum check the man. He stumbled for only a fraction of a second, but it gave me enough time to put a bullet between the man's eyes without hesitation.

Nora was picking herself up off the alley floor. It looked like she had scraped her palms from the fall but was fine overall. I heard her breath hitch when she spotted the man I had just killed.

"Don't look baby." I ordered. She looked away obediently, wrapping her arms around her tiny frame.

Footsteps were approaching us and fast. I looked down the alley where two more men were running down with guns drawn. It sounded like they were speaking Russian to each other.

Damn, Russians. If the Russian mafia was after me, it would be a minor inconvenience; a headache at most, but if they'd seen me protect Nora, we were in deep shit now. They would use her to try and get to me. I couldn't leave anyone alive.

They started firing at us. The only thing I could do was throw Nora behind a dumpster and return fire. I was so concerned about them getting to her, I left myself open and one of them got a clear shot directly at my head. I couldn't shoot them before they shot me. I dropped my gun and put my hands above my head.

"Let go of me!" I heard her little voice plead. The man who grabbed her had pulled her wrists together behind her back with one hand and held a knife to her throat with the other.