Chapter 6 - Casa de Jonathan

The car rode up the winding road of Country Heights Damansara towards Jonathan's house. Or should I say modern palace?

His contemporary bungalow was an architecture masterpiece, boasting concrete, glass and metal. The house was perched on the side of a hill and the entrance was on the top floor. 

I climbed out of the car with Shan in tow. It was decided that even though I'm married and moving into my new husband's house, doesn't mean that I could slip up. So Shan will be with me to ensure I keep up my appearance as Marissa.

We walked through the front door and met with a tall, stern-looking woman in a navy shirt and pants. She smiled tightly at us. "Welcome to your new home. I'm May, I'm head of this household."

"Hi, May. I'm Marissa. This is Shan," I introduced us to her.

"Yes, I know. I have prepared for your arrival," she said flatly. Somehow she sounded smug to me. I was already suffering with Shan, now it's going to be times 2. 

I smiled tightly myself and replied, "Of course. What kind of helper would you be if you were not fully prepared for our arrival." 

I noticed her smile faltered a little but she quickly recovered. I played my Marissa to perfection. I don't really like how rude she was sometimes, but she seemed to get away with it because of who she was and how she looked. Which meant I can get away with it too.

"Ah, Ken, there you are," May said, addressing someone behind us. 

Ken went to May and stood beside her, a wide friendly smile on his face. He was tall, with sharp jawlines and wavy hair. He was wearing a navy shirt over black pants. "Hello," he greeted us.

"Ken is your security detail," May said.

I looked between her and Ken, not understanding. "I'm sorry, what?"

"I'm your bodyguard," Ken said simply, flashing his boyish grin.

"I don't need a bodyguard," I said plainly.

"It's not your decision," Jonathan's voice suddenly came from behind and I turned around. He just came in through the door, in a light grey suit and black shirt, open-collared. He looked like a model coming from a photoshoot. 

"So I don't get a choice?" I shot back at him.

"Not about this," he replied, and walked straight past us and disappeared down the hallway.

I scoffed and looked at Shan. She seemed unimpressed. I turned to May and she smiled at me in that fake way again. "Let me show you to your room," she said with practiced graciousness.

I sighed and followed her to the west wing of the house. We went down one floor and walked down the hall with a view of the pool. May opened the door at the end of the hall and held the door open for me. I walked in and softly gasped. 

It was an amazing room. Modern and feminine at the same time, with a touch of coral, cream and white. The king sized bed was facing a view of the lush forest on the hillside, a partial view of the highway down the hill and some residential areas in the distance. It was a large suite.

I turned to May and asked, "This is my bedroom?"

"Yes, just for you," May said. "Shan's bedroom is next door."

"How thoughtful," Shan said flatly.

May looked at her and replied, "It's what good hostess does."

I looked between the two of them. I could have sworn someone started hissing. Or maybe that was in my imagination.

May turned to me and said, "I will make sure your things are unpacked properly. Please, have a rest. I'll come back with some refreshments."