Chapter 19 - Truth Unfolding

I held Pa's hand tightly. "It's okay, we don't have to do that now. We haven't seen each other for so long, maybe we should just catch up," I suggested mildly.

Pa wiped his eyes dry with his hand and sniffled. "No, I've been keeping this secret from you for too long. You have been through so much. You deserve the truth," he said, clenching his jaw determinedly.

I sighed and nodded my head. Pa took a deep breath before he started the story of what happened 20 years ago.

*****

Marcus was panicking. Rachel started feeling her contractions at 6am that morning and her water broke. They gathered everything they needed and headed out to the hospital. It was unfortunate that they ran into traffic. A cement truck had lost control and turned over on the highway. It was stand still.

Marcus instructed his driver to use the emergency lane. It was fine at first but up ahead, the road was blocked. So the driver turned to use the internal road.

Lucas and Sarah were waiting in the labour room at the small maternity clinic. Sarah had been having contractions since last night and her water broke just an hour ago. The doctor said it will be a while before the baby come. Sarah was only 3cm dilated.

Marcus barked at his driver to hurry up and find any nearby hospital. Rachel was moaning with pain. She was lying on the back seat with her head on Marcus's lap. She was squeezing his hand so hard, he thought she may have broken some bones. 

Lucas wiped the sweat off Sarah's forehead with a wet towel. She looked pale and tired. The doctor advised her to save her energy for when the baby comes.

The driver told Marcus that he saw a sign for a maternity clinic. Marcus told him to go there. They were running out of time.

Lucas was wetting the towel again when he saw the commotion outside. Through the glass, he saw them pushing another pregnant woman into the labour room next door. The distraught husband was following after his wife. He turned away and went to check on Sarah.

The doctor told Marcus that the babies were coming fast. He reminded Marcus of the possible complications because of Rachel's high blood pressure. Marcus asked him to do everything he can to save his wife. If it comes down to choosing between the babies and his wife, he chose his wife. They can make more babies. There was only one of her.

The doctor told Sarah that it was time to push, she was fully dilated. Lucas noticed how white she looked. He whispered in her ear, giving her encouragement. They have waited so long to have this baby, this miracle baby. He kissed her cheek and held her hand as she got ready to push.

The nurse got Rachel ready for labour. She was soaked in sweat. Marcus held her hand and pressed his forehead against hers. He whispered to her repeatedly. I love you, I love you, I love you. 

The doctor told Sarah to push, but she was getting weaker. Lucas gave her encouraging words. She tried to push but she was barely making progress. A nurse came in and told the doctor that the woman next door was already crowning. The doctor instructed her to deliver the baby and she left. He instructed Sarah to keep pushing.

Marcus asked the nurse where the doctor was. She said there was another woman in labour and they were shorthanded. She took a seat between Rachel's spread legs and said, it was time.

The doctor was shaking his head. He told Sarah she had to push harder or the baby will suffocate. Sarah gave her everything and suddenly she collapsed backwards. She had blacked out. The doctor went into panic mode, yelling at the nurse to grab the surgical tray. Lucas shook Sarah's shoulder, trying to wake her up.