Suvan Alternate Universe- Even(One Shot)

Shravan and Bunty met at their usual spot after school and tuition watching the sunset along the Bhopal lake. Shravan looked at the setting sun with a goofy smile lighting up his face as Bunty plopped himself on the wooden seat adjusting a little and balancing with both his hands holding two plates of chaat. He smiled looking at the gastronomic extravaganza before him and started explaining to Shravan how he had customized the chaat according to both their preferences with a little more of mithi chutney for his best friend, Shravan and with a little more tikhi chutney for himself. As he finished his long essay on his negotiation skills, Bunty noticed that Shravan was still lost in his dreamy world, so he nudged him a little asking "Where are you lost Miyaan"? Shravan with still glossy eyes said "Suman is so different from the rest. She is confident, intelligent, respectful..". Before he continued Bunty interrupted him saying "Basically she is everything you are not". Shravan glared at him and then said "I hate you for being my best friend" making Bunty chuckle. Both started chatting up while the sun went down, and the place became abuzz with lot of young girls and boys flooding the area. Shravan noticed from far that Anish and his group were also sitting on the kerb and from the way they were talking and smiling, he was sure they were checking out the girls moving around and perhaps also making some lewd remarks.

One girl passed by wearing a crop top and a short denim skirt and smiled back suggestively at Shravan and he smiled back too and raised his hand to say a hello when a very familiar voice shouted from behind him "Wah, exams sar par hain aur janaab yahan ladkiyaan taad rahe hain. Nice way to prepare and couple of hours back you were almost begging me to help you in your studies". Shravan cringed at her voice and turned back looking apologetic and stepped towards Suman saying "No Suman, nothing like that. Bunty and I were chatting up like we do every day. Don't get so worked up with this, I am still willing to anything to do well in the exams". Suman crossed her arms across her chest and straightened up and Shravan knew she would not listen and he heard her say "Yes, yes carry on I am listening , what other worldly explanations you have for your actions. Shravan nothing is going to happen about you, Daddu was so right about you. You are not worth my time". Saying this she turned around to go only to be hurled back by a strong arm gripping her forearms making her fall on Shravan's chest. Suman struggled in his strong grip as Shravan held her arms behind her. Suman was a little terrified by the anger or probably hurt in Shravan's eyes when she heard him saying "Why Suman, why it is always me who has to prove myself as upholder of your rules of sanctity? Why is it when Anish does the same thing and even worse you are ok with that." Shravan pointed to the place where Anish was sitting with his gang and it almost looked to Suman that they were eve teasing. Suman looked in shock with her mouth opening and closing like a goldfish before she looked back at the flashing eyes of Shravan who was not done "Why is it that you catch faults in the way I park my bike, the way I dress. The other day you pulled me up and looked at me as if I was untouchable when I had beer and got drunk, but Anish was the one who brought it and he and his gang drank too". His eyes now almost were tearing up as he bought a closed fist and placed on his heart and said "It hurts when you do that Suman. I adore you, respect you and aspire to be like you but when you give me the look of disdain it hurts. I don't know why and I cannot explain but it hurts". As Shravan finished his outburst, he looked down at their position with Suman's breasts crushing against his hard chest as she squirmed in his strong arms holding her by her waist. He immediately let her go mouthing a sorry and walking away leaving Suman in a jumbled state as Bunty looked on scared and lost as he could not figure out what he should do. He looked up towards Suman giving an awkward smile scampering off to where Shravan had walked off.

Later that night Suman thought about what Shravan said. She could see that he was hurt, and it hurt to see him hurt and she also like Shravan did not know why but it did. She had tried to sleep but could not as Shravan's words and his red face came back to haunt her and finally, she decided to take a walk in the balcony to ponder over what had happened. Was she expecting too much from him? She was aware that Anish was not all so perfect as his Daddu thinks. She had seen the conniving, mean and lusty side of him but she had not even bothered but why it made her blood boil when she saw the girl flirting with Shravan. Is Shravan different from the rest or her expectations from him so much more but why was it more? Why did it hurt to see him hurt? She repeated the questions again and again in her head but no answers, no hint not a zilch. Maybe, he is her neighbor and his and her father had entrusted her with the responsibility to fix him. Yes, she convinced herself that this was the reason although her heart did not seem so convinced.

A month later...

It was around 11pm at night when Shravan's father had sent him on an errand to deliver some official papers to his accountant. Shravan was returning from there and was around the corner where Anish house was located when he heard a familiar voice. He thought he was imagining things, so he stopped and strained his ears to clearly hear Kanchan's voice and a slurry voice along with her. He quickly parked his bike and walked towards the voice and there he saw Kanchan trying to hold a tipsy Suman. Shravan rushed towards Kanchan exclaiming "What the fuck? Is she drunk; the great Suman Tiwari is tipsy"? Kanchan looked shocked seeing Shravan there, but she was anyways glad as it was becoming difficult for her to handle Suman alone. As Shravan pulled Suman over his shoulders "Let me go else I will shout. You Shravan, you say I don't care. No, I don't care. Go where you want to", Suman slurred and Shravan suppressed a smile "Ok ok , I will put you down, just a few yards please. You can punish me tomorrow". Kanchan and Shravan both laughed at the way Suman bobbed her head in a yes. He then whispered to Kanchan "What's wrong with her, what's the story". Kanchan smiled nervously saying "Let's go Shravan now, I will call you and let you know. Let's get home first". As fate would have it Daddu was waiting for the girls to be back and the moment he saw Suman's state he was on fire "Vijay come here, look at Suman. Our Suman has come back home drunk. I told you this Malhotras are not good news, but you won't listen. Our Suman who never knows what beer is even is drunk and all thanks to bad influence. Kanchan what were you doing when this trash was making her drink". Vijay and his wife looked at each other as he signaled her to take Suman to her room when she shot back at the outburst "Enough, stop Daddu, stop blaming Shravan and Malhotras for everything under the sun. Let me tell you, your goody boy Anish is not what he looks like and I went to his special parties that he throws for his special friends and he made me drunk. Shravan was one who got us here safe". Shravan looked unblinking from Daddu to Suman and Suman to Kanchan as he heard Suman slur through her outburst. Kanchan gently nodded her head towards him saying whatever she was saying was true. Kanchan then pulled out the phone from her pocket and showed everyone pictures she had clicked at the party.

Later that night Kanchan called Shravan to explain that for some time Suman had been upset and felt guilty about accusing Shravan about not doing things right especially about blaming Shravan for being drunk although Anish was also party to it. She knew her Daddu will not trust her words till he sees evidence himself after all Anish is like his adopted grandson. Suman pestered Anish to invite her to his special parties, which are held when his parents are away from home and they do all sorts of stuff there. Anish initially refused that he had such parties but then said he hosts them but its not right for Suman and finally Suman convinced him that her life was fucked up and she wanted to unwind where there were no rules, no laws. The plan was only to go and click some pictures for proof but looks like someone spiked Suman's drink. Kanchan finished it all in one go releasing her breath and Shravan was livid "Is she mad? Why did she go to such a place? What if something more would have happened to any of you or both of you". Shravan went ballistic before he dumped his phone on the bed angry. Early in the morning Shravan watched Daddu and Vijay uncle go for their morning jog and taking the opportunity he hopped through their secret ladder route to Suman's place. She was up with a slight headache although she was still not worse. She looked at Shravan as though she was expecting him to come. Shravan walked towards her and slowly sat down at the edge of her bed and looked towards her trying to gauge her mood "Suman what you did was not right. I was upset but to prove Anish wrong you should not have put Kanchan and yourself in danger. I have no regrets. I did things in the spur of the moment and I was wrong. I know that. You are not like me, you are different. Just be the way you are. Promise me that you will not do anything like this again even if Daddu or anyone thinks I should be banished from this world". Suman giggled at the last sentence and Shravan's heart melted. He had come here to give her a lashing but looking at her he did not have the heart to. Then he looked intently at Suman and said "Now we are even. You accused me of flirting and then you cleared my name for the beer fiasco". Suman retorted "I just proved Anish was equally drunk and responsible for what happened. It does nothing to prove you were right, and frankly I don't care. I just wanted all to know the truth". Shravan smiled and said "You said yesterday that you don't care as well but now I know you care. You care a lot Suman. Should I feel special that you care for me so much to put yourself in harm's way". Suman did not have an answer as Shravan got up giving his killer smirk and humming away a peppy number with a smile on his face skipping towards the ladder. Suman felt her brain become fuzzy while a warmth spread in her heart and her skin erupting in goosebumps. She did not have a name to the emotion yet, but it felt good.

Note: I will forever salty that they never showed this side of Anish and brought it to closer because although Shravan was drunk but he was not alone.