Chapter 7

June 7, 2012 | 8:30 am

"Why, Miss Edwards. I do believe you are trailing behind."

Hikaru panted out as he looked over his shoulder at Aija who was jogging unusually slow behind him. He slowed down near a ledge with a tree hanging over him. "What happened to your pace?" He asked, trying to gather his breath.

Aija soon stopped beside him, reaching for her water bottle and guzzling down the cold smooth liquid into her body for hydration. Afterward, she pierced Hikaru with a scowl before raising a sleek eyebrow.

"Sleeping in that soft ass bed of yours is what happened to my jogging pace, Dr. Mizuno. Since you seem to be okay with just leaving me in your home all day," She retorted sharply, earning a blink from her partner. The words that Asami left him with lingered in his head and he nodded while taking his own drink of water. His hand wiped his mouth afterward as he continued to catch his breath, taking in Aija in her orange crop top and exercise shorts over black leggings.

"Touché. I understand, Koishii," Hikaru replied, his voice soft. He encased his left hand over her right bring her closer to him but not holding her. Aija understood this part; Hikaru had told her that public displays of affection would be a no in Japan and as such she wasn't offended. There was plenty of that to be had in the house and much more when they would move back home to Seattle.

Hikaru's eyes were full of what Aija recognized as guilt and she turned sitting down on a railing. "I take it your sister really did talk to you."

Hikaru nodded. "She did. Surprised she didn't kick my ass. You either for that matter. I know I haven't been around to take you out sightseeing."

Aija watched a family walk past them, the mother smiling at the father who made funny faces to their baby in a stroller while an older girl laughed. A group of girls walked in the opposite direction dressed in various styles of clothing before stopping to take a selfie. It was amazing how crowded Japan seemed and yet everybody just melded together easily. Hearing Hikaru she shrugged some.

"It's all right."

"You're lying, Aija. We both know how you feel about it. I guess I hadn't realized just how much time has passed without us really doing anything together right?

Aija stared into Hikaru's persuasive gaze. He wanted her to say her feelings. To get it out in the open. She shrugged again, slapping her legs some when her hands came back down. "I didn't want to press. I know that other than announcing our engagement, you had some things to do work-wise. I can understand you getting your hustle on, Hikaru."

Hikaru nodded listening while she frowned in thought. "Yes, but I brought you here for a reason. If it was just for me working, I would have at least went to Nihon and then came back to get you in Charlotte. There's no excuse for me neglecting you here. I just..."

Aija had it right but Hikaru wasn't ready to share as much as she was. Too much was at stake. He hoped he could steer her worries away like Asami's. His hand reached to take hers and Aija kept her frown.

"What? Is something wrong?"

"Things are just tense, is all."

At Aija's concerned look into his eyes, Hikaru reached to caress her face a little. "Please don't worry, Koishii. The truth is, I am pretty occupied, but I need to start freeing my time again. You're worth that. More than you know."

Aija smiled, wanting so badly to pull him up to her and kiss him senseless but respectful of his culture, she hung back.

" I trust you, babe. I do. Just...know that I'm here if you need something."