Chapter 10

June 13,2021 | 12:15 pm

The trip back to the Kyoto region was quiet, but before Hikaru knew it, he was taking the bullet train to Tokyo instead. Interviews for employees would be the next day, so he had some time on his hands. What better way to spend time than with his best friend? He dialed him on his phone to check on Takumi's schedule.

"Moshi Moshi?"

"Dou yo? How's it going? I'm on the shinkansen going in your direction. Are you busy?"

"Hirugohan with Brie-chan. How far away are you, Hikaru?"

"45 minutes or so. Don't rush your lunch on my account."

"Hai. Meet me at the studio. Ato de hanashimashou. We'll talk later."

"Atodo. See you soon."

Wanting to give Takumi quality time with his family and time to go to his music studio still located at his parent's mansion, Hikaru decided to take his own time looking around the city. It seemed like yesterday that his friends and he roamed the streets in Tokyo, living their lives to the fullest. The mid-morning rush was expected and Hikaru happily took it all in. He had come to Tokyo in his youth to go to medical school, living a few apartment complexes away from Takumi at the time. At the time, the only problem they had was with Takumi's older cousin, Tsuyoshi who was trying to be a part of a gang. Trying to better themselves, the two friends tried their best to stay out of his way but had no choice when Briseis came into the picture.

Brie was a foreign student who was trying to broaden her horizons while learning Japanese and pursuing her degree in drawing and painting. Takumi who lived across from her fell for her instantly, but unfortunately after bumping into her unintentionally, so did Tsuyoshi's gang boss. The result was a story of romance as Takumi and Brie fell deeper for one another and a story of danger as Takumi and Hikaru tried their best to protect the woman who was steadily growing as a part of their lives. In the end, Tsuyoshi ended up losing his life, protecting Briseis while Brie had no choice but to return to Texas for even further protection from the gang.

Things worked out for the better though, years later and Hikaru smiled as he ate a bite of gyoza he bought to eat for his own lunch, thinking about the two and their little one. Their own little family growing. Even though they hadn't talked about it, Hikaru deep inside wished for his own little family and as much as he knew a son would be wanted more for the family as a whole, he wanted a daughter. A baby girl who he could protect just as much as he protected the woman he loved. That seemed so far off in the future.

They were getting married, though, so that was a good step in the direction he wanted.

Music from the piano was already in full swing when Hikaru walked inside of the Ichikawa grounds. Takumi's parents still lived in the main house but were all too happy to give their son his own area to work on his songs. Walking into the studio, Hikaru smiled as the music stopped and his best friend waved at him.

"Looks like I'm later than I thought." He said and Takumi shook his head.

"Not at all. I rushed my lunch. Brie-chan knew I was excited to come here to see you. She'll be coming later on but for now, I can't wait to show you this new song I thought of."

Hikaru smiled. He was always happy to hear Takumi play. Unlike himself, who only played his violin as a hobby, he wasn't at all surprised at the career path that his best friend chose. When Takumi's hands touched the ivory keys, it was like he became another person. Music propelled him, filled him, defined him. He had a way of making the notes flow right into your heart, even at practice.