Chapter Five

Liv rubbed the sleep from her eyes and shifted, her palms pushing against her lower back as she worked to ease the tension there. She drew her shoulder blades back, working the stress from her body as she sat straighter in her position on the floor. Liv's eyebrows drew together as she worked to focus her breathing and force her brain to relax.

"You are holding on to so much stress. You have to empty your thoughts. Remember, there is no wrong way to meditate. If this position does not suit you there are a few others we could try - it is important that you are comfortable," Killian spoke quietly from the space in front of her. Liv smirked. Where was the guy who was quick with the personal attacks, and who was this person concerned with her comfort level? She could still picture him cross-legged in front of her, the pose she was mimicking currently held with a greater poise than she thought she could ever accomplish.

"My comfort level is as good as it's going to get at this moment," Liv muttered. She could sense his aggravation rising. The room she was in projected as a grid in front of her as her magic swept across it. Killian exhaled deeply... then inhaled. Liv could feel the tang of sea salt and sandalwood filling her nose. The room vibrated with the energy of Killian's magic filling the small space.

"Our meditation is different from those who practice it here. While it is still good for mindfulness and stress relief, it is also a practice in restraint and control for our magic," Killian began. "Had you been raised in Aderlane you would have started with these techniques at four. You would have much greater control of your magic than you currently do. Arya's parents should have found a way to be teaching you these things but it is no real surprise their hearts were not in preparing you for the future," he finished.

Liv rolled her eyes, her lips twisting into a grimace. There he is, that's the asshole I'm used to. Liv squared her shoulders and focused on her breathing; a breath in, a longer breath out. She found herself back in that clearing. Nathan's pale lips and faded eyes boring into her own. Back to breathing. One exhale in. One longer exhale out. Liv found herself counting each breath, after the third she was revisiting the council chamber. Her first interaction with Killian. This time she noticed the way his hair cascaded down his back, the way his green eyes glittered in the faux sun from the glamour on the room. Back to breathing. One exhale in. One longer exhale out.

"Now it's time to come back to the present. Liv, open your eyes," Killian commanded from in front of her. Her eyelids fluttered open, taking him in. The way his hair was tied in a traditional updo, the band bearing her mother's crest resting on his forehead. His eyes a brilliant emerald in the sunlight streaming in through the open window. She could hear the cardinals chirping in the distance, feel the breeze as it brushed a lock of hair against her cheek. She brought a hand to her cheek to brush it away, that's when she noticed the tears. She scrambled to wipe them away, but that only seemed to make them fall faster. Killian was up in a moment, crouched before her, his thumb swiping beneath her eye.

"That happens sometimes. You have closed yourself off from the present for so long, given yourself into the anger and hatred roiling inside of you. I would have been a little surprised if this was not emotionally overwhelming for you," Killian whispered. He brushed Liv's hair out of her face and tilted his head to make eye contact with her.

"I couldn't stay focused," Liv choked out finally. Killian nodded.

"Of course not. It is only your first time. You will be able to go longer the more you meditate. We will start every morning with ten minutes of meditation, until we can progress to an hour. Once we have made it to that point, you can meditate on your own an hour before bed. It will do you good and should help you sleep," he assured her. Liv nodded.

"Now, grab your sword. It is time for practice," Killian smiled at her impishly. Liv returned his grin and jumped up. For the first time since she could remember, she felt light.