Chapter Eight

Keiran stared at Liv as she watched Killian drive away. He sighed audibly. She had barely looked at him the entire night. He couldn't fail to recall her surprise in seeing him there, and not in a good way. It had been a while since they had a chance to actually hang out, but Kieran didn't think their relationship was suffering that badly because of it. He began to lose himself within the turmoil of his mind. The insecurities rose in his chest, causing the gloom that surrounded him like a second skin to thicken. Liv glanced back at him.

"Decided to acknowledge my existence, then?" Keiran hissed. He instantly regretted the words as Liv's mood visibly soured- her brow furrowed, eyes rolling in disgust. She looked almost like the girl he had met six months ago, painfully irritated by him and his attempts to get closer to her. Keiran wasn't so self absorbed that he hadn't seen how much lighter she had become of late. He just wished he could be the reason behind this newfound peace.

"What's your problem? So I'm doing my actual best to not hate Killian. Is that a crime now?" Liv asked, her tone chilling.

Keiran closed his eyes, releasing a sigh as he brushed a hand over his face and hair, removing the too-long strands from his view.

"I don't want to fight, Liv," he admitted softly. "I just wanted to see you. I didn't realise that he was coming for dinner, and it is slightly annoying, since I came to see my girlfriend, whose time is being monopolized by him. You're 'his' all weekend long, and now he's getting weekdays too? When is there time for us?" Keiran explained, his voice growing softer, almost weak. He felt his chest tense, he regarded her carefully. Keiran became apprehensive when he noticed Liv square her shoulders.

"I don't belong to anyone, let's go ahead and get that straight right now. As to the rest, what would you like me to do, Keiran? Want me to blow off training to come see you? Sacrifice week nights with my parents? Tell Killian that he can't train me anymore?" Liv ranted, her volume increasing with each word.

"Give me some kind of solution, Keiran, because I don't fucking have one! Everytime I think I'm doing the right thing, everytime I think I've made a decision that will benefit me in the future, you throw it in my face that I'm still not doing enough. What, exactly, would you have me do?" She leveled him with a look that brokered no arguments.

She was right, Keiran knew that. What could she do? What could either of them do, really? This was the reality of things. Knowing this, why did it feel as if every step that either of them took would lead them further from the other, rather than closer together? What could he say that wouldn't make everything worse?

He opted for the truth. "I'm sorry. I just miss you. You're right; I shouldn't be arguing with you about this when I know you're only doing what you can," Keiran explained calmly. He watched as Liv physically deflated. Her eyes softened as she took in the hurt on his face.

"I'm sorry too. This is all just so much, and I'm doing everything I can, Keiran. I miss you too," Liv said, stepping forward to embrace him. She pressed her face into his chest, and wrapped her arms around his middle.

Keiran held her close to him, and wondered if maybe this would be the last time. If fate would be so cruel as to let him fall in love with a girl that would never truly be his, although she was nestled in his arms. He wondered if he would always be cursed to love Liv, only to have to watch her leave him behind.