Chapter Seven

Liv shifted on her feet as she introduced her parents to Killian. Admittedly, things were still at times very tense with the two of them but she knew this was the right next step. After all, Killian would be in her life for an extremely long time, she might as well use this time to actually try to understand him. In his defense, Killian had been nothing but polite and courteous since he had shown up for the dinner. His answers to their questions, while short, were well thought out and delivered with a charming smile. Liv wondered if she had ever seen him smile before, so disarmed by it as she was, she didn't notice the despondent gloom that seemed to settle over Keiran, nor did she notice her mother's watchful eyes tracking the smile on her own face.

Rene watched her daughter's smile grow, her heart warming to her new school friend immediately. It had been too long since Liv had smiled genuinely, probably since homecoming. Before she'd spent the winter break with her friends, and Nathan's death had taken place. Though she did worry that things weren't well with Keiran considering the glum look he'd sported pretty much the whole night after learning that Killian would be joining them for dinner. Rene would have been curious as to why Liv wouldn't have mentioned it to Keiran, but considering she had seemed surprised to see him there it didn't taken a scientist to figure out what had happened.

Keiran slowly chewed on the steak in his mouth, the seasoning near perfect, the piece light and almost melting on his tongue, yet it felt like ash. He bit back the retort in his head as Killian told another well received joke that had Liv's entire family laughing, that had Liv clutching her stomach with a hand as she chuckled. Her melodical laughter turned to howling wind as it reached his ears and crushed his heart. Keiran was being, in short, dramatic. Yet, he couldn't help the anger, resentment, and bitter jealousy that roiled through him like a pot of water set to boil. He knew that there was a part of Liv that was still blaming everyone around her for Nathan's death, herself included. He hadn't accounted for the fact that she would reach a point that Killian would be the one she turned to for solace and comfort.

Killian thanked Liv's parents for the meal, and tried to insist that she did not need to walk him to his car. He could feel the anger rolling off Keiran like waves at sea. She had pushed past him with a roll of her eyes anyway. Saying her goodbyes as he got into his car and drove away. Killian glanced back at the couple from the rearview mirror as he steered the car back to the estate. This had been the first time he had eaten dinner surrounded by a real family. Even if Liv was not biologically the Carter's child, he could see that she had grown up surrounded by love and acceptance. For the first time in centuries, Killian was unsure of himself, unsure of his Queen. Was it really for the best for Liv to return to Aderlane? With the turmoil and unrest in the surrounding territories, Killian was beginning to wonder if he would not be doing Liv more of a favor by just letting her stay here in her human comforts. Still, he knew that was not his place, destiny was destiny and you can not simply change your fate, that he knew too well.