Chapter 26

My mom often said that our house felt like a prison. She said she had no purpose in life, to survive, she got a hobby. My mom used art as a means of excretion rather than artistic expression as if she was coughing out her depression onto the paper. It was a tiny event, held to encourage the city's cultural enrichment.

-How much for this piece? – ask a man and the staff from the mini-exhibition told him that they are not for sale. -Then could I meet the artist? –

-Hyeon, someone wants to see you. – and there she was with tiny Wheein in the baby carrier.

-I'd like to purchase your painting. Here's my business card. – and Hyeon was happy that people liked her art even to purchase. She went to her house and it was dinner time and she told what happen to her husband.

-Isn't it amazing? Who would've ever thought! I think I found my talent. I think I love to paint. –

-Disappointment. Don't make me laugh. You should be taking cooking lessons instead. Everything you make tastes terrible. – said Mr. Jung then remember what that therapist said about family support. -Keep going. - -<<Guess this is better than hearing her sob every goddamn day.>> -

And so, my mother painted and painted. She started taking art lessons at the community center, to cope with her depression. No one could have imagined she'd be successful. Over the next few years, my mother slowly but surely became famous. I thought she was just like a princess.

-Ever since I met your father, I thought my life was over, but now I can enjoy a wonderful life of my own. – Hyeon told Wheein who was drawing and watching her mother.

-the sunken eyes, the raspy voice, the blank expression, and the empty tears were no longer there. I prayed that she'd always be happy. But while my, other enjoyed great success, my father's company began to struggle. In the end, he had to close his business.

-Must be nice to have such a talented wife, man. – said, Mr. Park.

-"Talented?" You call that talent. Pfft, please. I'm supposed to be the head of the family, and now, look at me. –

-Guess this means you'll have to start helping around the house. – said, Mr. Lee.

-Ha, that's right. You gotta do everything she says, now. –

-I don't get why they're all going crazy over some stupid paintings. – said Mr. Jung drinking the soju.

-C'mon, man. She's great. Had no idea she had so much talent. –

- Keep a good eye on her. She might file for divorce, you know. – said, Mr. Lee. -You'd be out on the streets by now if it weren't for her. Why would she keep living with a man who doesn't even have a job? What's she got to lose? –

-But my father wasn't the only one who was opposed to her new life. The people who made her famous didn't like that my mother was doing her thing, in her way. –

-That makes sense. I mean, this is the art world we're talking about. You can't make a name for yourself with talent alone. – said Hwasa.

-Correct. She was only famous because they made her famous. And they made sure she knew that. But my mother didn't like that. So, for her new project, she partnered up with another company. the committee has always been funded by the M foundation. They have all the power within the committee. And they were the ones who first discovered her, so, I'm sure they felt betrayed. – said Wheein drinking her iced coffee. -And so, the committee started to keep tabs on her. as for thins at home...