36| His Intangible Mistake

_______________________________________"The first race is going to be starting soon, Violet, that means that pretty much everyone is going to from the ballroom to the stadium to make their bets and gamble

"The first race is going to be starting soon, Violet, that means that pretty much everyone is going to from the ballroom to the stadium to make their bets and gamble." Archer said quickly as he moved through the hallways.

His eyes darted from the intricately decorated walls to passing by spectators, analyzing every last detail and threat like a hawk.

"Okay, so it'll be pretty bare in the hallways right? We can be more lax then." She reasoned and his eyes drifted to her protectively when more people passed them in the hallways heading to the stadium.

Archer stilled and whipped around, his eyes boring daggers into hers, "We can never be lax. Not here. It just means that there will be less threats around us. If everyone that's here to spectate and gamble is in the stadium watching the races we can locate the men running the show. They will know information we need." He said.

Archer turned a corner quickly and heard heavy chains clinking and footsteps rounding the hall. He silently tested the door behind him and when it opened he pulled them both inside swiftly.

He registered the dark room rapidly. A closet. He held on to Violet tightly, feeling the quick beat of her heart against his ribs like it was the only thing tethering him to the ground.

Archer leaned his head closer to the door and listened till the clinking chains blended with the distant chatter.

"What was that?" Violet mumbled so softly her words almost got lost in the darkness.

"The racers. They're transporting some of them to stadium."

"Why are they chained up?"

"Because while some people willing participate others don't have a choice. They're people that owed Nathan money, intruded on his territory, or just generally pissed him off. He kidnaps them and makes them fight to keep their lives."

Archer's arm tightened around Violet when he felt her shiver against him, "that's sick..."

He couldn't see her face but he knew she was probably pale with disgust.

He nodded, "let's go. They're gone." Archer grumbled and walked out quickly advancing down the hall.

Violet followed closely behind him. His pointer finger was looped through hers so he knew she wasn't far behind him.

His eyes scanning the doors they passed looking for two words.

Staff only

Muffled voices sounded behind the closed door when they approached the door and he stopped without warning at the doorframe.

Violet nearly ran right into him, he is so quiet.

He looked at her and raised a gloved finger to lips exposed behind the mask.