Ch. 4 - High Hopes

"Absolutely not." He tried to argue.

"Why not? You're the one that said it's not a big deal, and it's legal!" She smirked.

"Kitsurio. No."

"Shouta. I am an adult. I could go buy my own weed right now and smoke it without your direct supervision. Your choice." She knew exactly how to push his overprotective buttons.

"Fine. But the bong is dirty and I don't feel like cleaning it. I have a joint." He grumbled, pulling one out from a stash in his bedside table. She was in awe, this was a new side of him that she had never seen.

She sat down in front of him, their knees touching. "You're like... an actual stoner. You have pot just in your nightstand." She watched as he held the unlit joint between his lips as he searched for a lighter.

"The worst part is when I run into my own students at the dispensary." He mumbled as he finally found the lighter. "I'm not a stoner. I'm not high all the time. I just smoke to sleep sometimes." He corrected her.

She watched as he lit the small piece of paper and inhaled. When he pulled it away from his lips, they held eye contact as he held his breath. She stared wide-eyed at him until he finally exhaled.

He on the other hand was trying to ignore how he could see straight up her skirt. "Just inhale like a cigarette, and hold the smoke in for a minute." He explained before taking another puff and passing it to her.

Anxiously she held onto it until he exhaled. She watched him cough a bit before bringing it to her lips. It was just like a cigarette right? She hoped it would at least taste better than one. She took a deep inhale and instantly, her lungs felt like they were on fire and she fell into a fit of coughing.

She shakily handed the joint back to him and she choked and gagged for air, stripping herself free of her cardigan as salted tears stained her red cheeks. "Are you okay?"

She shook her head. "It burned!" Her throat tingled and felt raw.

He took another puff, one twice as big as the one she had previously taken, and shrugged. "It's not for everyone."

She was stubborn and determined. "Let me try again."

He laughed. "I'm not letting you burn your lungs again, little one."

She pouted at the nickname. "How do I make it not hurt so much?"

He sighed and opened his legs. "Come closer." She crawled up closer to him and sat directly in his lap, so her face was inches from him. "You didn't need to be this close." He laughed. But when she went to back away from him, he grabbed her chin. "Open your mouth."

Gently her lips parted and Shouta took another long drag. With his free hand, he pulled her face closer to his. Right when she thought he was about to kiss her, she felt him blowing smoke into her mouth.

This was much easier. She held it in her mouth as long as she could before exhaling. "Good girl." He mused, his eyes already pink and glazed over.

She squirmed in his lap anxiously. She wanted to hear him call her a good girl a million more times. "Again."

He smiled and did it again for her, this repeated until the joint was gone and both their eyes were red. He had smoked considerably more than her, but he also had a higher tolerance. With each one he showered her in honorifics and praise. "You did such a good job, baby." He smiled as he put the butt of the joint into an ashtray.

The room now reeked of pot and she felt a bit overwhelmed. She was suddenly so aware of how everything felt. His breaths, her breaths, their heartbeats, and the clock ticking on his wall echoed in her head like a symphony. Sitting on his lap, she could feel how warm his legs were through his jeans. As her hands tangled in the fabric of his shirt she wondered why she hadn't noticed before how soft it was. A giggle forced its way past her lips.