1. Breaking Apart

"I need some space. It's not you, it's me," this is the last thing Jeremy said to me before leaving to his new school in Tennessee.

We had been together for a year and a half now and everything was going great for us, but then his dad died in a horrible car crash and he became a walking-talking mess. I did everything I could to convince him to stay, but everyone, including his mom and my parents felt that its better if he moves to another state and starts afresh.

Last year was really terrible for me. My mom and dad decided to split up. Ofcourse, we all saw this coming but one day, it just struck like a lighting, without a warning.

"Riley, you know that your mom and I haven't been on good terms for a while, so considering about every factor, including your future as well as ours, we have decided to split up. I can assure you that nothing will change for you. You can live your life the way you want to," this was the last thing dad said while having his last breakfast at the house.

Nothing's gonna change, he said. Ofcourse, everything changed, but Jeremy was there to talk me through everything. He made me believe that I had a lot of opportunities waiting for me, which I might lose if I spend time mourning over mom and dad's divorce.

But now Jeremy's gone, to some high school in Tennessee. And I'm about to start my senior year alone.

"C'mon Riles, don't be a sulk. You sound like one of those damsels in distress from cliché rom coms. I didn't like him that much anyway", Liv screamed through the phone.

"You know what, maybe you're right. If he can start afresh, so can I ."

"That's my girl! Now be ready at 5. Caroline and I are coming to pick you up. We need to do senior year shopping."

"Senior year!! Here we come."

Liv, Caroline and I have been best friends for as long as I can remember. We've been there for each other through everything and I knew that I could trust them with my life.

*****************************

"Get in quickly, we've to get there as early as we can, otherwise everything will be gone"

"Calm down Caroline, we're going to freaking Walmart!"

"Yes, but school starts tomorrow and there will be a massive crowd. What if we don't get everything we want? Why didn't you guys schedule this a bit earlier?"

"Hey guys! What's the bickering about?" I asked as I got into Caroline's brand new Mercedes.

"Nothing much. Care's worried that her favourite nailpaint would run out of stock."

"Ha ha Liv. Was that supposed to be funny?" Caroline sneered as she drove.

"Cool car by the way"

"Thanks Riley, my parents' gift for my 17th birthday," she said with a wink.

We reached Walmart. The crowd was massive. Clearly, everyone had been idiots like us and waited for last minute shopping.

"Seriously? How will we even get through this? I've got so many things on my list. Ouch, somebody just pinched me", Caroline exclaimed as we made way through the aisles.

"Gimme your shopping list Care," I said as I grabbed the 1foot long rolled up sheet from her.

"Oh my God. Is this for you or for the whole school Caroline?" Liv exclaimed.

We made our way out after grabbing everything we could.

"Wow! That was nasty."

"Anyways, we got everything we wanted."

"Almost everything. Is anyone in the mood for some ice cream?"

"Sure Caroline. Let's stop at The Sunbar. " I said while digging into my backpack for some money.

**************************

"To the last year of highschool", we said while enjoying our sundaes.

"I didn't know you guys would be here", a voice interrupted.

"Dylan!! Hey...we just crashed here after our last minute shopping. Wanna join us?" Caroline said while breaking into a hug with him.

"Sure. Why not?"

Dylan, the school's heartthrob and the captain of the football team is Jeremy's best friend and Caroline's boyfriend. And also, my cousin.

"Hey cous! Wassup!", He said while taking a seat next to Caroline.

"Hey", I said while going through my text messages. "Spoke to Jeremy recently?"

"Yeah he's my bro. We talk often. Wait.... You two haven't spoken since the breakup. And you're not over him," he said purposefully " and if it makes you feel any better -or worse, he never spoke a word about you."

"That's enough Dylan. Shut up or I'll shove this ice cream down your throat. Trust me it won't be as fun as it sounds."

"Calm down Olivia....I was just pulling my cousin's leg... No, but seriously, Jeremy didn't say a word.....Meet you in school Caroline," he said after dodging a punch from Liv.

"Go to hell Dylan," I shouted at his back. "Okay girls, I need to get back home before mom comes back from work. See you tomorrow."

"Bye Riles... Remember that we're wearing yellow tomorrow," Caroline grinned as she hugged me.

"Yes ma'am," I grinned back.