Chapter 23

The following day, Trevor cut class. It sucked, because I had been hoping to have lunch with him and because I hated how much I’d grown to anticipate his presence, but the day was pretty smooth anyway. The lessons were as fascinating as ever, and the drama at the cafeteria would have made any teenager movie proud. Ashley snickered and glared, and her group stared down my group. Pretty cliché, really.

“Ashley's been spreading rumors,” Stella said conversationally while we ate.

“What about?”

“Even I can answer that one, Alice.” Alex gave me a look that was close to an eye roll, but he smiled in good nature while doing it so I forgave him.

“Trevor,” I said.

“Yes.”

“What does she say?”

“Several things.” Stella started to count on her fingers.

“First one is how you’re playing him and trying to break him for kicks.”

“Wait. How does that one work? I mean, the people she wants to get to hate me are the people who hate Trevor in the first place, so wouldn’t they approve that version?”

“Trevor wouldn’t like that version,” Alex said, adding a mountain of mayonnaise to his chips.

There was a moment of silence.

“Ashley is so not crushing on Trevor.” If she was, I needed to do damage control to my sanity, and soon.

“She did know he played…” Stella offered, giving me a look.

“But she’s not stupid. Why would she attack him to get a reaction?”

“To get a reaction.”

Stella and I both turned to Alex. “Hey, you seem to know a lot.”

He ducked his head, trying to escape the scrutiny. “Well, Jacob’s the only dude from our year in theater. We’re not best buddies, but we used to talk. I know he and Ashley aren’t an item, like everyone thinks.”

“She’s alone?” I screeched, a bit too loud because of the surprise, and my friends hushed me.

“As alone as she knows how to be.” Alex shrugged, and I took it to mean that she was Queen Bee—or Bitch Queen—and got a lot of attention, from no one in particular.

“Huh. Guys, that changes everything.” Stella leaned in, excitement alight in her features. “She might not be just attacking him. She might be trying to drive a wedge between you two, Alice.”

I felt an oncoming headache, but I had to admit that it was the most logical thing we’d come up with regarding Ashley and her attacks on Trevor. “What for?”

She shrugged and ate a fry from Alex's plate. “Search me.”

**Don't forget to vote, comment and share**