Chapter 24

In the grand scheme of things, we didn’t learn anything new or interesting, but still I thought it was a good excuse and decided to drop by Trevor's place on my way home. Between the gossip, asking what had happened, and bringing him his books and homework, I thought I had a solid alibi.

However, when I stood in front of his door and rang the bell, I hit a wall of silence. No lights on, though it was still early to need them. No TV, though it was Trevor, and he didn’t spend all his time in front of the screen as any other guy would. No music, though, that was odd. No steps coming to the door.

I tried again.

If he’s sick and stayed home, perhaps he needs the company or needs to be checked on—not out, you traitorous brain, just on—or…

Meow.

With a jump of Olympic proportions, I looked down to meet Sparrow’s unflinching green eyes. He sat on his haunches and stared up at me, knowingly, as if he knew exactly why I was there and some humor was to be found in the entire situation.

He didn’t look too threatening, though I did wish he weren’t so black.

“Hey there, cat. Sparrow.” I felt stupid for talking to him, but Trevor had said that I needed to be friends with his pet so I would try. “You locked outside, too?”

He did some more staring, without replying.

Thank God.

“I wanted to see how your owner was doing. I guess he’s okay if he’s outside, huh?” I tilted my head to the side. “So, how come he abandoned you in the yard?”

He did a sound a lot like a harrumph and proceeded to lick his front paw. Then, he stood, weaved between my shins and sat down again, in front of me.

I saw the cat door installed.

“Oh. You just like to be out, then.”

Endless staring. Condescending staring, even. I took a deep breath, decided that enough was enough, and hitched my bag in my shoulder.

“Well, I’ll be on my way. I’ll tell him tomorrow that I dropped by.”

I refused to acknowledge that I was beating a hasty retreat from a cat. Instead, I rejoiced in the fact that I had successfully interacted with said cat—said twelve-pound cat, actually—and that Trevor would be happy to know that.

**Don't forget to vote, comment and share**