Chapter 37

The tears didn’t let me see anything at all as I flew to my room and collapsed on the bed. I wanted to sleep and forget, but of course I couldn’t. I couldn’t even cry myself into numbness, because after a while, the tears dried in my lashes, without falling, and I was left staring at the darkness of the ceiling.

And thinking. Every moment of the past couple of months played through my mind in slow motion.

There was the old thrill when I snuck up to his window to listen to his sad soulful music; the elation when he joined our theater project and then the fear when I felt exposed; his acceptance, as if I hadn’t been the creepiest psycho girl in the block; his courage, standing up for someone who wasn’t even his friend at the time; his tenderness, his soft smiles and sweet kisses, more chaste and innocent than any and yet burning me from the inside out like no one else had ever managed.

The words, whispered across my lips like the wings of a butterfly. I love you.

His words were engraved in my mind. I could hear every undertone, every inflection of his deep, beautiful voice.

An idea started to swell in the back of my mind as I reminisced. Fear gripped me as I recalled random moments of conversation from the past couple of days, and I jerked upright on the bed, my thoughts swirling out of control.

Now we know how this is going to end.

What if the alternative is worse?

She’s wretched.

I love you.

“What if the alternative is worse?” I mumbled in the darkness of my room.

Everything will be okay. I love you.

I gasped.

“You knew, didn’t you, Trevor? You knew what she was and what she wanted. And you almost told me.”

The emptiness of the night didn’t answer my accusations. The silence made them loom, sinisterly, like the end of the world.

The end of my world.

I had to be wrong. He wouldn’t have meant it like that. He couldn’t be thinking such a thing. Every rational bone in my body told me to cool down and stop the drama queen act. My brain tried to tell me that I was jumping to conclusions.

I yanked my trainers on anyway because I couldn’t shake the feeling of good-bye.

**Don't forget to vote, comment and share**