Four

After my fight with my mom I couldn't sleep, I just stared at my ceiling hoping I was in some type of dream. Hoping my mom and I were back in Rhode Island. I keep tossing and turning until I finally give up getting out of my bed and into my moms room getting into her bed next to her. She shifts her body so she could look at me giving me a sad smile.

"Couldn't sleep?" She asks me and I shake my head no "me either."

"I'm sorry mom." I say looking at her and she just shakes her head pulling the blanket over me.

"You have nothing to be sorry about, you were right you do have every right to know your father. I just don't want you to be disappointed if he doesn't want to be in your life, I just want to protect you." She says to me and I nod my head in I understanding.

"I know, the two of us forever." I say sticking my pinky out for my mom to wrap her pinky around.

"Forever." My mom repeats.
-

The next day my mom decided she wanted to see her mom and introduce me, my mom was at least hoping she would accept me. We pulled into the drive way of a tiny blue house with plants everywhere surrounding it. We got out of the car and went to the door knocking. The door opened reviling a women with jet black hair that fell loosely down to her hips she wore a dress that went down to the floor and a necklace that caught my eyes, it was a chain with a blue shell on it that reminded me of the pink shell my mom had on a necklace she owned.

"Juliet." The women says looking us up and down then moving out of the way gesturing for us to come in. "Sit in the living room, I'll bring in some waters."

My mom and I walk into the living that was filled with even more plants and a little water fall that looked like a shrine of some sort. I looked over to my mom who was looking at me already smiling like she knew something that I didn't, but before I could ask my grandmother walked into the living room handing us the waters and sitting in a chair across from the couch we were sitting in.

"So you finally decided to return home." She says crossing her legs over each other looking at the both of us.

"Yes we had some complications in Rhode Island so I decided we should come home to where we are from." My mom says fidgeting with the bracelets she had on her wrists. My grandmother nods her head slowly then turning to look at me and had a small smile on her face.

"And I assume you are my daughters child?" She asks with a tone you couldn't read.

"Yes ma'am." I say and mentally cursing myself for being awkward. I was shocked when I heard her laugh and then smile at me.

"You can call me grandma you know." She says smiling at us now and I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding in. "So are you back for good because I would like to get to know my granddaughter."

"Why do you could fill her head with story's." My mom says glaring at her mother, again I'm confused on what's going on.

"You and I both know those aren't just story's and she will find out soon, you know that.. you can't protect her from what she is." My grandmother says in a calm but stern voice.

"What are you guys talking about?" I ask curiously looking between the two women who were still looking at eachother.

"Your special Blair remember that." My grandmother says smiling at me "if you have questions when the time comes you know where to find me."

"She could talk to me you know, you gave it up." My mom snaps standing up grabbing my hand to make me stand up next to her.

"I also taught you how to control everything and how to deal with it." My grandmother snaps at her daughter "why do you think I didn't want anything to do with you when you got knocked up but that dumb boy, You needed to learn responsibility. Do you think it didn't break my heart when you left?" My grandmother asks shaking her head and walking away as my mom was silently crying and pulling me out of the house and into the car.

"I'm so confused on what just happened." I say looking forward while my mom was doing the same.

"You aren't human and neither am I." My mom says starting the car and ignoring my questions while we drove back to the house.

When my mom pulled into the house she went straight into the house and into her bedroom and I followed her wanting answers.

"Mom please tell me what you meant or I will go to grandma." I say crossing my arms and she just laughs bitterly.

"This life is hell, all I wanted to be is normal and now having to tell my only child she isn't normal is happening." My mom says sitting on her bed facing the wall not taking to anyone but only to herself. I sit next to her slowly grabbing her hand.

"Please." I ask her quietly as she turns to look at me and gives me a small smile.

"It started when I was fifteen and it will happen to you any day. You know how I don't go out in the rain or stopped going swimming with you when you turned five? I'm a mermaid and so is my mom and so are you. It runs in our blood only the women get the gene." My mom says shaking her head looking away.

"I thought that was a dream, you swimming with me and flapping your gol-" I start to say but she cuts me off.

"Golden tail, I only get to see it when I take a bath not wanting you to see it but now you are going to have to go through all of this. You are going to be itching to go into the ocean just like I have been for eleven years, but now you know." My mom said still looking at the wall.

"Your mom is one too?" I ask her and she nods.

"Well she was but she gave it up, I saw you looking at her water shrine. She gave up her tail to the moon gods to live a semi normal life but she still has all of her abilities." My mom says and then turns to look at me again "why do you think I'm so protective over you my mermaid wants to keep you safe, your mine and only mine. Daughters are very important to us, why do you think I was upset when my mom kicked me out. I thought she didn't love me but I always knew she did." My mom says as I pulled her into a hug which she returned hugging me tighter then she has ever hugged me.

"Thank you mom for everything." I whisper into her shoulder feeling her tears soak my shirt. "Thank you"

"You will always be my flower."