Chapter Two

''I, uh, I fell. And I have a cat.''

''A cat? Are you seriously going to use that excuse?''

''W- What are you talking about? It was my Cat. She scratched me''

He sighed and pulled over to the side of the road.

He took out his phone, '' Here. Look'' He handed the phone to me. There was a picture of him and this girl standing together. They looked happy.

''What does showing me a picture of your and your girlfriend have to do with this?'', I said annoyed.  

''That's my sister Jamie. And look at her arms.'', Josh said.

She had cuts. All over her arms. I felt sadness rush through me. I hate finding out other people do it.

''She used to tell people her cat did it. The people she told were dumb enough to believe it. But I didn't. She trusted me not to tell anyone. I regret not telling though. She committed suicide last year. Swallowed a bunch of fucking pills.'' He paused for a moment and had tears in his eyes. ''I found her body, you know. She was just laying there on the bathroom floor. I shook her and yelled her name I did everything I could but it was too late.'' He was crying now. ''My parents blamed me for not telling anyone she was cutting... But I guess it's okay because I kinda blame myself too... She was my best friend. I know I hang out with the guys all the time but they aren't the same. They aren't sweet and soft like Jamie was.''

I didn't know what to say. There were tears going down my face but I didn't make a sound. Either did he. He just saw there behind the wheel looking out the window as tears came down. I put my arms out and pulled him in for a hug. He sobbed into my shirt.

He released then looked at me.

''So i'm sorry. I'm sorry but I'm going to have to tell your parents. Or another adult. I can't let you end up like her.''

''NO! YOU CAN'T! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!''

''What's there to understand? You're mutilating yourself!''

''You can't tell my parents. You just can't. PLEASE. You can't tell anyone''

''No. I have to. If you die, It will be my fault again'' 

I know I shouldn't have told him what I did next but I had to.

''My dad. He would be the only one you could tell. Who knows where the hell my mom is. My dad isn't a god guy. He gets mad. He gets angry. His hands are always expecting more. He kicks, and he punches, and he yells. At me. So go ahead. Go tell him. But the reason of my death might not be suicide.''

He looked down. 

''I'm sorry. I- I didn't know.. Does he hit you everyday?''

''..Yeah... Probably will when I get home.'' I felt tears build up in my eyes and I looked out the car window.

''Well then you can't go home.''

''What? Are you crazy? He will KILL ME if I don't come home!'

''He'd kill you anyways.''

I was silent. He was right. 

''Where else would I go? I have no one.''

''.. Maybe uh. Maybe you could come with me? Just tell him it's an over night feild trip''

''You? You want me to go home with you? Won't your friends disown you?''

''I'll live.''

I felt a light smile on my cheeks.

''What about my things? I'd need to go get them. He'd be there waiting for me.''

''I'll wait in the car. If you're not out in 5 minutes then i'll check on you. Ok?''

I was scared. What would happen after the 'feild trip'? I can't stay with Josh forever.

We pulled up to my house and Dave's car wasn't there. But just to be sure, Josh parked at the end of the street. I walked up to my room and put some stuff in a bag. I wrote a note that said I was going on a last minute Field trip and stuck it on the beer pack he had in the fridge.

When I was walking out the door I ran into Dave.

''Daddy's hoooooome'' Dave sang sarcastically. 

It felt like my heart stopped. I backed up.

''Where do you think you're going with that big bag? You're not running away are you?'' I was silent. ''ARE YOU?!''

''NO!.. I'm going on an over night Field trip. I'll be back in a few days''

''Fuck no you're not.''

He raised his hand and slapped me. I kicked him in the balls and ran upstairs to my room. I put my bookshelf in front of my door so he couldn't get in.

I opened the window and saw Josh outside. He had parked the car in front of my house and looked scared.

''Josh! Up here! Help!''

He looked up. 

''Try sliding down the roof! I'll catch you''

I knew I'd regret it.

I slid down and stopped before I went over the edge and fell on Josh, and he helped me down. 

I slammed the car door and we were off

I was scared and relieved at the same time. I was safe now. But not for long.

We pulled up to his house.

''Dad's on a business trip, Mom works late.''

His parents were pretty wealthy. His house was large. What my dream home might look like.

We walked inside and it was beautiful. There were plants and a fireplace and a nice couch and big TV. I was like a little kid in a candy shop. 

''Believe it or not, we don't have a guest room. So you'll have to sleep with me. Is that okay? If not I can sleep on the couch i'm fine with it''

''No, no. It's fine''

I don't know why he was being so nice to me. I felt like he was pitying me because his sister didn't make it and he is trying to make up for it.

''Go ahead and sit down if you wanna. You hungry?''

I was starving. But I really didn't need to eat anything. I really want a thigh gap. 

''Uh just a little''

''Okay. I'll order a pizza.''

I felt like I was in heaven. Am I dreaming? Why is he being so nice? What am I gonna do when I have to go back home? What am I gonna do wh- ''Hellooo, Maya are you there?''

''Oh, yeah sorry. I was just thinking.''

''It's gonna be okay, Maya.''

I loved when he said my name. Wait what am I saying?!

''Thanks. For letting me stay here.. I won't tell the guys if that's what you want''

The pizza guy came and Josh served me a slice.

We sat together on the couch and ate. No TV on or anything. We sat in silence. It was a good silence. No fighting, no tears. Just each others company. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Josh's POV - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

She just laid there with her eyes closed. She looked so cute sleeping. Wait what am I saying? I'm Josh Golden. She's Maya Roman. The girl that sits and doodles in her notebook all day.

I carried her up to my room and laid her down. I laid next to her. ''Goodnight, Maya'' I whispered to myself.

There is something about her. Something I can't stay away from. I feel protective. I don't want anyone to hurt her, especially not herself. I feel the need to...

Fix her.