Compromise Me: Chapter 36

Chapter 36

“You’re late,” Arielle hissed in Travis’ ear when she opened the door to him.

“Sorry,” he said and brushed past her.  Tristan came scurrying out from the back of his new home, pumping his little legs as fast as they can move.

“Daddy!  Daddy!  You late!”

Travis swung his son high in the air.  “I know.  I’m sorry.”

“I go now!  Sandbox, sandbox!”

Travis laughed and gave him a kiss on the forehead.  “Go grab your stuff so we can scoot.”

Tristan wiggled down to the floor and he skidded back to his room.  Arielle rounded on Travis, eyeing him up and down.  “You wore that yesterday.”

“It’s still clean,” he replied, looking around the house.  Arielle and Sam had managed to get a lot unpacked over the week.  Only a few miscellaneous boxes lined a wall.

"It's wrinkled," she pointed out.

"That tends to happen sometimes."

“Did you sleep with her yet?”

Travis gave her an annoyed look.  “Why do you ask me that everytime I see you?”

“Well, I just happened to call Josie not long after Tristan called you, just to ask her the name of that storage place she used before she moved in, and she just happened to mention that she didn’t have the phone number on her and she wasn’t home yet...so?”

“So what?”

“So, who slept over whose house?”

“Neither of us,” Travis said, smiling again as Tristan came back, dragging a large, overflowing duffel bag behind him.  “Are you bringing the kitchen sink, too?”

Tristan stopped and wrinkled his forehead.  “Kit’en sink?”

“Never mind,” Travis said and bent to help his son.  “Whatcha go in here?  It’s heavier than you are.”

“Yeah, what do you have in there?” Arielle asked, looking into the bag.  “Oh, good heavens.  It's all his toy animals."

"Yup," Tristan said happily.  "I make zoo with owl and ‘olcano!"

"This must be your influence," Ari said to Travis, ruffling her son's hair.  "Because I don't know where this sudden fascination with owls came from."

“Actually, you could probably thank Josie,” Travis said.  “She's to blame for the volcano and owls--”

“Oh!  Shosie owl!” Tristan yelled in Travis’ ear.  “Down, Daddy!”  The boy squirmed so that Travis nearly dropped him.

“Where are you going now?” he asked as his son scampered back to his room.

“Forgot Shosie owl!”

Travis shook his head and shouldered the bag, prepared to wait until Tristan finally got all his treasures ready.  Arielle stepped in front of him, a weird little smile on her face.  “What?” he said.

“You’ve changed.”

“I’m still wearing the same clothes I wore five minutes ago,” he said, frowning at her weirdness.  “What’s wrong with you?”

“No, I mean, you’ve changed.”

“You said that, but it still doesn’t mean anything to me.”